Gastric Band Referral

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good afternoon everyone, I wonder if you can help.

Two weeks ago my Doctor said she would refer me for a Gastric Band, now I understand that there are various processes to go through before the operation.  I just wondered how long roughly it took for those who have had the operation for the first referral appointment to come through?

Thanks

Sarah

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I went private but I've read that there are many nhs hoops to jump through and it can take a few years.
  • Posted

I'm also paying private because I was told it a big waiting list here in South Wales up to 3 years..
  • Posted

Hi from my 1st hospital appointment to the actual op I waited 1yr!! I had my band op on the Nhs.
    • Posted

Hiya, that's good. Did you have to wait long to get the ball rolling from first being referred by your GP?

How are you doing so far?

• Posted

I can't remember exactly but was only around 3-4mths. Am doing gd, op was almost 3 wks ago, am eating pretty normally now, just very sma meals! Weight loss is slow, lost 15lbs since starting pre op diet.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone.

My Doctor said it could take up to a Year due to certain hoops etc. I sooo hope it happens sooner as am so desperate now.

I wish I could afford to go Private but best quote ive had was from Spire for £6,850.

Those of you who have had it done, how are you doing with your weight loss?

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I had my band fitted on NHS on 31st March (2 weeks ago). Believe it or not I had been waiting for ten years, but I think this was rather extraordinary!  There were so many issues to do with funding and criteria and every time I thought I was there, the goal post would change. But it is my belief that things are simpler now with common guidelines for all areas. From meeting the criteria this time, to actual op has been about a year. Its too early for me to say how its going, but the op was fine and I have recovered well. I'm on fluids for another week and can then progress to pureed foods - the aim is to be on normal, dry foods by eight weeks. During the four week pre-op diet and the two weeks post op I have lost 2 stone, which is encouraging. Hope all goes well for you.
    • Posted

Hi Deborah

Thank you for your reply. 10 years, wow! I am glad you have finally got there and are on your way to your goal.

2 stone is amazing! I imagine you are very pleased with the result so far :-).

I really cannot wait for the day I have it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.