Gastric Band's 5 days post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! Just found this forum and am glad to discover that I'm not alone! It seems that people's experiences and instructions are very differing. I am on

Four weeks of fluid and feeling quite hungry. My day seems to be spent trying to take medication.... Four different tabs that need to be dissolved in 200 mks water, other tabs that have to be crushed and washed down with copious water. I feel so awash with water that I'm struggling to get my protein shakes in, and as for a cup of tea! And so I'm hungry! Any advice?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What are the 4 weeks of fluids? After the op?
    • Posted

Four weeks of fluid only, thin enough to go through a straw (but not drunk through a straw), no bits or seeds or anything. I am meant to have two litres a day, of which 600 to 800 mls should be protein shakes. I can have milk. I've also thinned down tinned soup. Then I progress to pureed texture for two weeks, then soft for two weeks, then proper food. I'm with a very experienced weight management team and I trust their advice, but am hungry!
    • Posted

Really it's funny how each place seems to be different I done liquids 2 weeks prior to the op and then 2 weeks after. I started on Friday my soft foods and I have had chilli pasta wtc for the next 2 weeks and then I go onto normal food
  • Posted

Hi Deborah, I'm also 5 days post op band. I'm so swollen I feel like a helium balloon!! I can't seem to fit anything in apart from meds and water too!

I'm on liquid paracetamol, anti sickness tabs and anti acid tabs. I so can't deal with the swelling, the meds, the water and they expect me to drink protein shakes too!

I'm just sieving soups and having tea and water.

I'm doing what's right for me because having the protein shakes just makes me swell up and feel sick....

Speak to your nurse about tabs that dissolve on the tongue and maybe smaller ones you can just swallow or liquid form??

• Posted

Yea, sorry you are so swollen. I feel okay generally, tho a bit sore under ribs and I wonder if that's where the port is. Just awash with horrible medicine tasting water! I'm sure it will get better, its very early days for us isn't it?
  • Posted

Hi!

I found the dissolvable tablets disgusting so I ised to add a bit of Ribena to them with water just to break up the routine of water! X

• Posted

Just to say that the difference between day 5 and day 7 is marked! Feeling much more human and not entirely dominated by taking meds. Managing my tramadol and paracetamol plus blood pressure meds and thyroxine all within half an hour in the morning. Then, at lunch time I take multi vit and ad Cal. And in evening more pain meds and amitriptyline. Sorted!! So now have time and space for three shakes and other drinks. Hooray!!
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm on day 10 now and was managing to keep a good bit of liquid down...although beware that this may cause your stomach to swell up even more in response or increase the trapped wind. I had a chat with the nurse today and was advised to be very careful that I stuck to thin fluids. She said that I might not feel it at the time but it will have consequences. I didn't drink as much as 3 shakes but still ended up in a lot of pain. Hopefully it's all fine, but just be wary. Best of luck!

• Posted

wow you take lots of medication! From the day I left all I had was calpol 3 times a day and I managed really well are you still in lots of pain with what you are taking?
    • Posted

Mm, no pain from the op, but I have fibromyalgia and severe arthritis as well, so was on lots of meds before the op. Also have a dodgy pituitary so have to take quite a lot of hormone replacements.And the hospital have put me on calcium and a multi vitamin/mineral for life post op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.