Gastric band slippage?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please help. I've been banded for 4 years. Initially lost loads of weight but put most of it back on when I fell pregnant. For the past few months I am constantly sick, abdo pain, heart burn. Today I am in loads of pain with it. Should I go to a+e or not?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YES I urge you to seek  medical intervention straight away - this does not sound right at all - if it is slippage it needs sorting out asap as to do otherwise can be very dangerous - it would be preferable if you could go to an A&E dept attached to a hosp with a bariatric dept but if this is not poss then go to your nearest one - it might be that th e pain is totally unrelated to your band but either way it needs investigation - good luck with all of this and hope everything turns out ok but unless you get this checked out NOW the outcome could be bad

• Posted

Thankyou for replying. The pain has eased but as usual I have vomited AGAIN when trying to eat. My hubby says I need to go to a+e now but I think I will wait until the pain is bad again as it isn't an emergency ATM. Just sick of it now, especially as weigh loss is a big fat 0! I'm not vomiting blood though so I'm glad with that. Just want it sorted.....sorry for the moan!

• Posted

I am with your husband on this and the longer you leave it the worse it could be - if your band has slipped it could be eroding your stomach  so you need this checking out NOW - for the time being I would stop eating solids and let everything settle down cos constantly being sick could be  causing swelling and making the situation worse - drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated and have liquid food such as milk, yog, smooth soup etc to sustain you and gradually reintroduce sloppy food moving onto more solids BUT if you cannot eat there is something very wrong and I do not understand why you are putting off seeking medical intervention - once again good luck with this 
    • Posted

Thanku. I will go to hospital today, thanku again x
  • Posted

good luck with all of this and do report back to say how you got on - hope you get good news
  • Posted

Hi there...i had exactly the same...i had to sleep sitting up as i started choking in my sleep. I went and had a scan at a private hospital and they told me it was a medical emergency. I had to have emergency surgery that evening and honestly I couldn't believe it. I had the band removed during the surgery..in the short space of time from the scan to surgery i had a further slip so thankfully I was in the right place. If you have small kids you need to just go and get it done..get it checked out immediately.

• Posted

Thanku for replying. Been waiting for NHS direct to call me back for 3 hours now. Pain is coming and going, but reflux when I lie down. Just want to know if it is serious or not x
  • Posted

I really feel for you its a total nightmare your in....try putting heat to where the pain is..only take tiny tiny sips of something warm if possible and try an relax ur muscles.

..i went to the company i got banded by and they literally went into administration the day I arrived to them to see what the problem was...i then had to bite the bullet and go to a private clinic which seen me there and then they scanned me and told me to go to hospital immediately...at this stage i thought there over reacting....i thought my kids are at home they need me...then I received a phone call from a surgeon who worked at the private clinic but also at the hospital as well.. he basically said he seen my scan and p you need to present yourself to emergency surgical unit immediately dont eat or drink anything (which was easy anyway..lol)your on the list for this evening...when I arrived about 4 hrs later i had another scan done and it had slipped further. My youngest was 5 mths old. Im not medically trained but I think either your band is way too tight and it needs aspirated or its slipped and once thats happened if they fix it for you through surgery the chances of it happening again are high. I know its crazy but I got mine out and boy was i glad I did. If I had to go through that again i couldn't cope.i suffered 5 mths with it. After my baby was born is exactly when it happened and the nurses and drs told me its normal after having a baby...the surgeon that operated on me said i was lucky i didnt silently drown in my sleep!!! Because I was having such severe reflux if you'd call it that. Get your life back and get in control...its a damm god send and the devil at the same time. I had my band for 5 yrs...2 pregnancies and 2 babies within the 5 yrs. Once it was out pure relief.. and straight home to my kids and never ever will i ever do anything like that again. Lesson learned and then some. Good luck if anything ive said has helped or you can relate then great..i wish you all the best of luck keep me posted if you can..xx

• Posted

Thanku so much for the info, I feel so sorry do u. I'm currently sat in a+e. Tbh the pain is mild ATM but that's coz I'm not attempting to eat or drink, feel like a drama queen but I'm like u, just want my life back sad

• Posted

Thanx for the replies, just after a bit more advice. I'm sat in a+e had exrays and bloods but been told if its anything to do with my band they won't touch me, I would have to to privately back to Birmingham (I live in wales). I am a nurse in the hospital I'm in, I'm pretty sure they can just do that.

Am I right? I told them if its my band slipped its a medical emergency and I'm not happy just to be left unable to eat and drink. I don't have much pain at all ATM coz I haven't eaten or drunk for about 15 hours! I just feel like my 8 hour trip here.....still ongoing has been a completed waste of time sad

• Posted

Hi there...they really do talk a load of nonsense. They have a duty of care to you and if it's the band they have to care for you no matter what. You pay your taxes the same as everyone else...your feeling vulnerable at the minute because youve paid for a wls that may have gone wrong...this is irrelevant...if you have or not they still are duty bound to care for you and regardless if you have a band in or fake boobs or an artificial leg they have to take care of you right here and now with the issues you have and if thats a band that needs fixed or removed if it's life threatening then so be it. Keep me posted. Good luck.

• Posted

if it is a medical emergency they have to sort it out  -  you cannot just be left to your own devices - if somebody got of a plane from the other side of the world with an appendicitis they wouldn't be told to get back home to deal with it - if some one had taken an overdose or had a self inflicted injury they wouldn't be told to go sort it out themselves - so why should this be any different - it might be that they do not have a bariatric unit and do not know  what to do but in that  case you need transferring to a hosp that deals with this type of surgery and emergency - let us know how it goes and thanks for keeping us in th elink

• Posted

Just an update.....

My band has slipped, they have attempted to remove the fluid but failed, going to try again today. I will be having the band removed over the next couple of weeks. Not sure what will happen if they can't get fluid out today. But I can tolirate sips of fluid and am desperate to go home lol. Thanku for encouraging me to come in u have both been great smile

• Posted

sorry to hear that your band has slipped and needs to be removed - in the meantime I hope they manage to remove the fluid in your band today as that might give you some relief and if you are in hosp and unable to get any fluids into your body yourself they might  put you on a drip - a s a nurse you will be a better judge of that than me though - it is good that this is finally being sorted out for you before it got worse and you did some permanent damage to   yourself = good luck with everything and hope you get b ack to normal soon
    • Posted

Thanku very much. Yes I had 3 litres of IV fluids. Got surgery in 2 weeks to remove band now. They got the fluid out, but got to stick to liquids now until my surgery. Thanx again for the advice smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.