Gastric Band surgeons

Posted , 3 users are following.

Help! 

I have decided to go ahead with gastric band surgery but I’m struggling to choose where to go and who to do it. I don’t even know where to start looking for someone 😩

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

presumably you are self funding rather than going down the NHS route - have you decided whether to have it in this country or abroad - i would think that is the first choice to make and your decision could be governed by price - the cheapest option is not necessarily the cheapest in the long run though cos you need to see what the after care package involves and for how long it lasts - if you have to pay for after separately and fills then this is going to increase your over all price - if these are included then you need to take that into consideration - you need to do some research with diff hospitals and I would start with the ones closest to your home to start with cos  you will need some follow up appointments and it would be more convenient to have these nearer to where you live rather than a long  distance to travel - the follow up appointments are for fills which you will need to build up to full restriction with your band - when you first have your wgt loss surgery there will be  little or no fluid in your band so it will not be operational until you get what to what is often termed 'the sweet spot' or that ultimate level of restriction  - you will need several small fills to build up to this level - you could do some research online of diff hospitals where you can get this type of surgery - private hosps such as the spire often do wgt loss surgery - you could ask if there are any support groups in your area where you c ould speak face to face to people who have had band surgery or online on an organisation such as WLSinfo - have  you considered other types of wgt loss surgery - once you get an initial appointment with a consultant they wil go through the various options with you - the band does not suit everyone and could be another type of op would be more practical - be wary of people who have had othe rsurgeries trying to pesuade you that the type of op they have had is the best - how do they know what is best for you - only what is best for them and we are not all the same - good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.