Gastric Band Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi again

I was wondering how many of you are considering gastric band surgery?

I went o see my doctor about it, and he said that, although I fulfill all criteria for the op, they wouldn't consider me uless I have tried Orlistat first, so that's why he has given me them.

I have 8 stones to lose, so presumably wouldn't be able to take Orlistat for that long!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

personally not myself.

as for the length of time you can be on the tablet from the information on the tablet.

\"If you continue to lose weight after six months, your doctor may advise that you continue to take orlistat. This may be for up to 1-2 years, or longer if you have a great deal of weight to lose.\"

So there does not seem to be a cut off point.

• Posted

oh thats good then

I just wondered how many of the people here were on the pills just because they are waiting for a decision on a gastric band

• Posted

I think most people are using the tablets to lose weight and re-educate themselves to eat healthier. I haven't heard of others asking for gastric band.
  • Posted

I totally agree with Trying Hard - When I went to the Doctors, the gastric band/bypass was an option for me but my feelings on this is that no operation is worth the risk when you have dependant children.

My friend has taken the option of the bypass and I'm very afraid for her......i think she feels its a miracle cure and she is going to have a pefect size 10 after but what worrys me is that she is over 50 and will have to face the possibility of her skin not going back and personally for me that would be worse and being fat.....so further operations would be needed and where does it end, could take years. She has aready been on the waiting list for nearly a year and could have dieted and got somewhere on her own.

I definately went on orlistat to learn a healthy way of eating which is finally sinking in and i'm now in the routine of 3 meals a day - I know its going to take a while but I think if you really want it you will do it, if I fail it's down to me.

The gastric band/bypass should not be given on the NHS as an easy opition!

• Posted

I've already had a re-think and, now that these pills seem to be suiting me well, it's definitely a better option.
  • Posted

Glad you are having a rethink.

I eat far more than I used to and make far healthier choices and treat my self to something high fat approximately once a week. I used to skip lots of meals because I was too busy, couldn't be bothered to eat or didn't fancy anything but now I eat regularly and am always looking for low fat options. I found some lovely chocolate ice cream, think it was skinny cow but keep forgetting to buy some more. I do miss proper chips though so if anybody has chips I sometimes eat 6-8 of them :oops:, I eat baked crisps, use extra low fat cheese triangles instead of other spreads, eat weight watchers desserts with my main meal and drink good for you hot choc before bed. I drink water and no added sugar squash at work, I drink a cup of tea in the morning and two cups in the evening because i've cut down they taste so good :D

Having a gastric band fitted is not a healthy option, can be fatal and you will not be able to eat proper sized meals anymore.

Give these tablets a proper go and find healthier foods and snacks and the weight will soon start dropping off and then you wont want to undo all the hard work. THINK HOW GOOD YOU WILL FEEL. Make yourself small achieveable targets. Come on you CAN do this :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.