Gastric band to do or not to do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm thinking of having a gastric band fitted.

Has anyone had one? Any regrets? Pros and cons?

would love to hear from anyone X X x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yes, i have a band this last 8 or so yrs -

my regret is that i did not get it done sooner -

pros - it is adjustable, removable/reversible (though why would you want to do that if it is doing it's job), you do not have good tissue removed which other types of wgt loss surgery involve, less invasive than other types of wgt loss surgery, shorter recovery time, no dumping, the actual op is cheaper than other types of wgt loss surgery

cons - it is slower than other types of wgt loss surgery to lose wgt, you need to get fills to make it operational, food can get stuck which is uncomfortable until it eventually either goes down or comes back up (known as a productive burp or PB), the wgt loss is generally not as great as other types of wgt loss surgery so if you have lots to lose one of the other methods is poss a better option.  

• Posted

thanks so much glad to hear your band has been so successful.

I have six stones to lose...not sure if that is too much with a band?

thanks for replying and well done X x

• Posted

I was going to do a lap band because it's reversible and I was a little reluctant to do something permanent. When I met with the surgeon, he looked at my lifestyle and talked me out of it. I travel a lot and he said there are issues with slippage and leaks that could be a problem on the road. There's also closer monitoring and adjustments that could also be a problem for me. I had a bypass instead. No complications and steady weight loss. My point is to make sure you discuss your lifestyle and access to medical services before you decide?
    • Posted

Thank you Margaret. That's really useful. My dad has also had a bypass and has done extremely well. My reluctance for the sleeve or bypass is because I have severe fibromyalgia and it's difficult to know how my body will respond to major surgery. It's one no one can really predict. It was brought on after child birth.

Thanks for the tip and I will definitely talk about lifestyle when I have a consultation.

keep doing well!

• Posted

what was your  start weight and how much do u wanna lose, band aint easy but works with patience
    • Posted

Hi Gina,

My bmi is 40 and my start weight would be 16 stone 6.

I've booked two consultations.

Thanks for getting back to me x

• Posted

I had my band fitted 9 years ago and I'm sorry to say I'm one off the unlucky 5% that it hasn't worked. I did loads off research followed all the guidelines but to no avail for me it has been a blight on my life! BUT I'm not saying it won't work for you I'm just saying talk to people then talk some more ask lots off questions and be 100% sure you know everything .good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.