gastric bypass?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I am having a bypass later this year but I keep hearing of people not loosing weight after about 10 wks. I am worried I have it done and it not working I need to rid myself of fat and diabetes.

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That has not been my experience at all. At 3 months, I have lost 55% of my excess weight and continue to lose. My goal weight is very low, 120lbs, so that's pretty good. I eat anything I want, just less, and always protein first. I count protein, water and calcium every day, but it's routine by now. I always have fiber in the morning and snack on grapes or apples in the afternoon. I'm never hungry. My salty cravings are gone. Poof!, I'm jogging again, but walking burns just as many calories. Routine exercise is a must, at least for me. Hope this helps.....
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I think it must be in your mind if you want something badly enough it will work.i am so excited I have my 3 appointments at Luton and dunstable on 14 April hope it's not too long after that. Well done on your weight loss it's fantastic.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, I had my bypass in November 2014, and I've steadily lost weigh over the last 12 months. My weight loss has slowed down now and sometimes I find that it sticks for a couple of weeks but then suddenly I drop another 3/4lbs. I've now lost 105lb and have a bmi of 25, diabetes had gone and so has my chronic asthm, so glad I had the operation. There are still foods I can't tolerate, but I stick to what suits me best, low fat, low sugar. I still go out for meals with friend's and family but just choose starters or have a child's portion.

Hope this is of help to you, best wishes

Lenora

• Posted

Thank you yes it has helped alot I am so desperate to rid my diabetes and insulin! Jogging...wow I hope to someday say the same takes alot if effort to walk and when I do exercise go hypo . Fantastic weight loss for you. I have my 3 appointments on 14 April at Luton and dunstable then hope for a date.

Keep up the good work best wishes

Debbie

• Posted

Hi

I had my Gastric Bypass in July 2015 and I am still loosing weight. It is much slower now about 1lb to 2 lb a week and I have lost 7 stone. I had health issues too. It will not be easy but in my case it was the best thing I ever did. There has been lots highs & lows.

Please feel free to ask any more question if you need to.

Best of luck

If you need to ask ant question please fill free

• Posted

I totally agree that the bypass was the best thing I've ever done. Wish I'd done it sooner. I still can't get over catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror and thinking..."Is that me?"

Just a note...clothes can be a problem, I'm going through them fast. I try to get clothes that will still look good when I lose more weight, like boyfriend blazers or other loosely structured clothes. I don't mean baggy stuff, because I no longer have to wear baggy, but a blazer can go through three sizes, if the cheaper cami or tee or whatever underneath fits.

Probably too much information, but when I was researching bypass, I couldn't get enough information....

• Posted

Hi never too much info.lol I keep researching too just desparate to get it done it's all the waiting so frustrating. People keep asking what to get for birthdays etc I said no to clothes cos I am hoping this will be my last year wearing them. I gave got long big jumpers which I had the idea to use them as dresses with tights next year.

How long was your wait for surgery.

Debbie xx

• Posted

Six months of classes, and had to have a steady weight loss. To qualify, I could lose as little as a pound a month, as long as it was steady. I had no idea how important the info they were pounding into me in class would turn out to be.

It's all so routine that I almost forget I am wired differently inside. I go out with friends a lot and now eat the way they do....small portions, pick at my food, pass on white carbs, leave food on my plate, take leftovers home.

Another thing that surprised me....I have fewer forbidden foods now. I didn't keep chips, etc., in the house before, because I could never eat small amounts. I handled my lack of disciple by taking away the temptation. Now, I don't crave the snacks the way I used to so I can keep them around.

I love my new lifestyle. You will too!

• Posted

Lol I am so impatient. I did morelife lost 5%of body weight which they required had my 2 appointments in Luton and dunstable where I saw a nurse and a surgeon. I maintained my weight loss finding it difficult cos it seems ages till April for my 3 appointments. How long after that will I have my op do you think. Diabetes is a nightmare to control.

Thanks debbie x

• Posted

Hi Last year I had a bmi of 42 and was diabetic.  I was on lots of medication and felt absolutely awful.  The NHS would not help me but fortunately my parents saw my desperation and offered to pay.  I had my op at the nuffield last year in southampton.  I have had no problems with the band.  Weight loss has been slower than I anticipated but 2.5 stone later I am no longer taking any diabetes medication which makes the whole process worthwhile for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.