gastric bypass

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having gastric bypass operation on 6th i am so nervous and excited, i have put about a stone back on and im so nervous they wont do it now i had intentions of trying to try lose it again but i got the date so quickly i havent got time to, wil i get turned away now?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I haven't had a bypass but have recently had a gastric band.

I'm not sure whether with the bypass you have to do a pre op diet a couple of weeks before? For example I was only allowed milk and water for 2 weeks before the op and I lost over a stone, so this could help you but only if you are advised to! The idea is to prepare you for life after surgery but mainly to shrink and reduce the fat of the liver as this is moved slightly for the band placement, as I say I am unsure about the bypass but maybe worth a ask. My surgeon said that he wouldn't do it if I hadn't lost any weight as it would be too risky if I hadn't done the pre op diet which obviously makes you lose weight! 

• Posted

Hi!

I'm not sure whether with the bypass you have to do a pre op diet a couple of weeks before? For example I was only allowed milk and water for 2 weeks before the op and I lost over a stone, so this could help you but only if you are advised to! The idea is to prepare you for life after surgery but mainly to shrink and reduce the fat of the liver as this is moved slightly for the band placement, as I say I am unsure about the bypass but maybe worth a ask. My surgeon said that he wouldn't do it if I hadn't lost any weight as it would be too risky if I hadn't done the pre op diet which obviously makes you lose weight! 

Has there been any mention of a pre op diet? X

• Posted

Hi!

Has there been any mention of a pre op diet? X

• Posted

I thought i would need to go on a pre op diet but i have the operation in less than 2 weeks and i havent been told about wat diet or anything and i have pre assesment tomorrow which i am so nervous about ive had 1 already but they said i will have to see a physiotherapist and am not sure why when its before op
    • Posted

Maybe they will tell you about pre op diet tomorrow? Some people only need to do it a week before, depends on your weight as to which diet you do I believe! Maybe some surgeons don't feel is necessary to do pre op diet so I wouldn't worry too much but I would defo ask tomorrow! 

A physiotherapist? What for?!

Or do you mean phycologist? I had to see one before the op to check that you are having surgery for the right reasons and to check you are able to cope afterwards! They didn't use the words 'to check' but that's what I got the jist of! Xx

• Posted

Tbh i kinda wana do that diet just to ease my mind to make sure everything wil go to plan cos i am panicing about it alot and its so hard cos i dont have anybody to talk to about it who understands

No hun defo a physiotherapist it says on letter but im thinkinf maybe thats to either check my fitness or to explain if i need to do cerrain mild exercises after op

• Posted

Well although I didn't have the bypass, I had the band on the 24th October, I'm here if you want to talk as apparently they are fairly similar x
    • Posted

Thank u hun that wil be great ive got pre assesment today which i am so nervous about i actually feel so sick im that nervous but i wil let u know how it goes
    • Posted

You get so nervous and then they take your blood pressure and wonder why it's high!! Hehe!

How did your pre-assessment go? X

• Posted

Lol i know haha, everything wen perfect the hospital staff were absolutely lovely ppl had an ecg and blood tests and blood pressure n all that stuff and everything was fine im so excited now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.