Gastric bypass and liposuction

Posted , 3 users are following.

I weigh 342 pound and have tried to loss weight numerous of times. My weight is right at the root of my severe depression and anxiety. I am going to have gastric bypass surgery. Would I also be considered for liposuction at the same time?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would say not cos usually a bariatric surgeon does not perform lipo plus you need to lose wgt first and see where you get to before considering any other kinds of wgt reduction strategies such as cosmetic surgery or lipo - if you are having your bypass surgery on the NHS I doubt they would fund lipo in any case - and if you are funding it yourself I think it is a totally different type of procedure but of course something you need to ask the consultant. I would also say that wgt loss surgery might not be the answer to your severe depression and anxiety - it needs a tremendus amount of commitment and focus and you need to be in tip top health mentally before considering such a major operation - its def not a magic wand but a tool to aid wgt loss and very much NOT an easy ride or easy way out so do be aware of this and seek lots of advice and support from professionals in advance

• Posted

you cant just presume you can have a bypass either moat hospitals have to see your capable of losing weight yourself before they will even give the go ahead for surgery, the nhs wont do cosmetic things like liposuction that is something youd have to pay for yourself, i was under the hospital myself but managed to lose 6st without surgery so it can be done

• Posted

I agree with most of what Angela has said above and congratulate Angela on losing 6st without surgery however, that is not to say that everyone can do this nor, and in my opinion the even more difficult part, manage to keep it off - everybody has different amounts to lose, different health problems, different addictions, personalities and life styles - all of which might hinder wgt loss or even make it impossible - to somebody who has 30 stones to lose then 6 st would only be the tip of the ice berg and they might still require surgery in order to help them lose the rest - to somebody who only has 6 stones to lose then that is a massive achievement, however, maintenance can still be the hardest battle they have yet to face however, I absolutely agree that a gastric bypass and cosmetic surgery such as lipo do not go hand in hand and performed at the same time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.