Gastric Bypass on NHS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I recently spoke to my GP about weight loss surgery as I have battled with my weight my whole life. I’ve lost weight many times and always gain it again. I have high blood pressure and my BMI is over 40 so he told me I would be eligible.I’m from the north east and have been referred to the food for thought group and have my first session tomorrow. My question is, have you had WL surgery on the NHS and how long did you wait? I’d also like to know whether you feel the surgery was successful. Thanks so much 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol, i havent had surgery but i went to my gp and asked for wl surgery on the nhs- like you, my dr agreed as my bmi is 40 and i have hypothyroidism, pcos and im pre-diabetic.

Im in the south west (somerset)

Ive been on the waiting list to see endocrinology for 6 months now and my appointment is on tuesday.

Endo work closely with bariatric surgeons... have you been referred to one?

Ive not been referred to food for thought or any other group yet.

I downloaded a pdf from my local hospital (who happen to be the leading bariatric team) and its quite indepth.

Maybe worth your while having a look at where you'd be having surgery amd seeing if they have info to download?

Can i ask why you want the bypass?

im opting for the sleeve myself if i get accepted x

• Posted

Stacey

I just wonder have you tried to see if thyroid medications worked for you?

• Posted

i had levothyroxine and gained 2 stone so stopped taking it.

Im hoping endo can put me on something more suitable x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.