Gastric Bypass pre op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Im a complete novice when its come to these types of things but have just been approved for a Gastric Bypass & am awaiting an op date, does anyone have any bits of info I should be aware of beforehand?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No im waiting for a date too....but im having a problem thats coz i know its happening instead of loosing weight before surgery like i have been im now constantly eating....and gaining back wot i lost...u think its fright and nerves. Have u experienced anything like this. 

• Posted

Hey, I know exactly what you mean as I've had the same problem! I was doing really well (for me anyway) with managing to lose 2 stone in the last 5 months or so but since I've had my surgery confirmed I've gone abit off track... I have convinced myself that it was ok to eat all the foods I loved as would hopefully be the last time I would be able to eat them & I felt like I didn't want to deny myself or regret missing out but now I feel pretty rough as I think my body has adjusted to eating better... It's a total catch 22!
    • Posted

Hi

Exactly!! YOU completely understand. Now i know this is bad but im so glad im not going insane and am not the only one.  I hope the hospital dont set me back by this as i have an appointment tomorrow and am so worried I'll have to wait till next month for a decision on a date.   Its kind of depressing.  I actually am frightened to eat food yet cant stop myself. Its hideous! 

However i will get back on track and so will you.

• Posted

Of course you will, time will let us learn to adjust but I think it's okay to treat yourself a little beforehand. Good luck smile
  • Posted

Hi Sherbert,

I have a gastric band but my advice applies to all weight loss surgery candidates.  Please PLEASE make sure you take daily vitamin supplements after your operation, I've been really poorly with malnourishment in the 6 years since my op.  I have a history of poor nutrition and tbh the band wasn't suitable for me -  I'm hoping to have it removed.  Being malnourished makes you feel really yuk so please make sure you're getting your vitamins and minerals smile Lots of luck for your op and I wish you all the best for the future.

Kat

xxx

• Posted

Hi

I am due to have a GB in a few weeks and I am seriously having a wobble.  I am beginning to feel like it is a bit drastic. I am questioning myself over and over again, why can/t i lose weight by going to slimming world or weight watchers.  I had a gastric band 4 yrs ago and it did work for the first 12 months, however I had it removed in April.  I didnt think I would get funding, but have for a bypass but I am worried about what my life will be like after.  I know I will be happy, losing weight but its the quality of my life I am worried about.  Does anyone have any pre and post op advice for me xxx thank you so much xxx

• Posted

Hi,

I'm currently pre-op GB, mine is booked for 24th.

I think the pre nerve wobble is to be expected! Especially if your on the milk diet like I am!  I too have had the same thoughts about putting it off and not doing it but then I thought.....

All of my life I've been fat, unhealthy and unhappy and if not stuffing my face means I will be healthy and slim then that's a price I'm willing to pay! Aswell as the £6000 on top!

I'm hoping that nothing tastes as good as slim feels as all the skinny people say!!

As to the above comments about going mad with good before op..... I did the exact same! It's as if I was never going to be able to eat again! It was my last supper every day from the booking of surgery to the milk diet!! And why not I say!!

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.