Gastric hypersensitivity

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 40 year old male in search of support/advice. After almost 3 years of suffering, different tests, medications and diagnoses, I recently saw a private consultant who diagnosed gastric hypersensitivity (likely as a result of a C.Diff infection in 2012).

Basically I feel instantly full and insanely nauseous after ingesting even small amounts of food or fluid; and have to make my self sick to relieve the awful sensation. I'm constantly losing weight and no treatment or exclusion diet or even eating tiny amounts frequently has helped (although I do get temporary relief from acupuncture which has reduced the constant and explosive belching). Even the Fortisip meal replacements are difficult to stomach.

The private consultant (a UK based professor) relayed his findings to my NHS consultant who had followed the advice and prescribed Nortriptyline to counter the sensitivity. Apparently this takes a month to take effect but given that my symptoms have got even worse I'm not so optimistic.

I also suffer from GERD but avoiding trigger foods and Lansoprazole has kept this in check.

Physical things aside, the last few years have destroyed my mental wellbeing not to mention the toll taken on my long suffering partner and young daughter. I love food but now I'm terrified to eat or drink!

I'm going to seek further private medical and dietary advice - I've done considerable research and my symptoms seem to tick a lot of the gastriparesis boxes - but I wanted to hear from anyone suffering from these symptoms. Perhaps you've tried something that could benefit me.

My thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried Glutamine (from the health food shop ) it's an amino acid and it coats the gut . The other thing which has  helped me is Pepzin GI I think I am getting better slowly but like you I am frightened of new foods and alchohol coffee etc is a distant memory , the weight loss is difficult and scary - I am almost a stone under weight now . Good luck with it all Issy 
    • Posted

Glad to read you're seeing some improvement. I've come across both producers during my endless research but haven't tried either.

I'm currently drinking Argile clay water which I'd also supposed to coat the stomach; but will definitely consider these as well. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Rupi

I have suffering from nausea each day for the last year saw so many doctors but nobody has an answer. Waiting to see a GI for a scope in Sept. such a long wait. I agree it affects your quality of life. The only thing I get is do I want antidepressants so jam not concerning myself of my condition.

Of course I say NO .. I would love to see a private naturopathic doctor. With not working too sick it's not an option. I have GERD too and am on Lansoprazole 30 mg was taking 15 mg but still had heartburn. I don't eat anything to agitate my GERD but still have nausea. I have lost a lot of weight too.

Did you say the Lansoprazole helps you?

I was thinking about doing acupuncture to help with the nausea... I don't have belching just nauseating feelings all day. My only relief is when I am sleeping!

Tell me more about the acupuncture.Thx

• Posted

Sadly the Lansoprazole only helps with the heartburn. Acupuncture helps with the nausea and belching, and allows me to eat a little more than usual; but only for a couple of hours after each session. Hardly ideal but a tiny bit of relief is better than none.

There are acupuncture points specifically for nausea so I would wholeheartedly recumbent seeing a good acupuncturist or acupressure practitioner. Personally, I think alternative medicine is the way forward because I've found that doctors simply try to pigeon hole and medicate without considering the bigger picture. It took me three years of battling (and eventually going private at my own cost) to get a plausible diagnosis... And still no sign yet of a successful treatment.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thx for the reply ... It is the nausea that bothers me not the heartburn.

I did hear that acupuncture was good for nausea, my Physio clinic has good acupuncturist. I saw one when I had a slipped years ago. Wouldn't think it would help with nausea!

I totally agree that naturapath doctors are the way to go, my GP says they don't address our bodies in the right way and end up coming back to traditional medicine for tests. Here in Canada you don't pay for medical but you do for public or naturapath visits.

Since I have been sick in the last year I have not been working so I need to watch my finances 😥

Did you find any foods that aggravated your stomach more then others.

I have probably tried it but any info would be helpful !

I am a vegetarian and recently omitted dairy and wheat but still the same😂

Thx 🙏

• Posted

I Like you had tests c/t scan endoscopy and colonoscopy. Nothing then the pain subsided and I too was full and sick. It now transpire I have delayedstomach emptying.i have to eat frequent small meals as I am also diabetic 2. You can get a dilettante sheet from dietician. If like me your sages nerve has gone its for life but depending on what has stopped your stomach from stopping you may be able to recover by stopping whatever has caused your problem perhaps a prescribed pill or whatever. It's hard but you  can get mess to help with nausea and moving food on like doprridone.good luck I hope you will get better I would not wisgh this on my worst enemy.
  • Posted

Hello Rupi,

I think yours is a similar case like mine. I am also going through almost all dat you mentioned. I am trying to cope with it but da main concern remains wt loss. Desperately need to get back to my shape.

Well the drug you mentioned is a TCA which is what even my Dctr has prescribed. It's been over a month and believe me it's working. The symptoms have reduced to 50% . I wud continue it for while and den wean it Off.

Another thing that has made difference is Yoga sessions. It's really amazing will strongly reccomend as it works holistically.

More imp to stay positive and believe dat you will come over it.

All the Best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.