Gastric sleeve and gallbladder removal together

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, just after some advise or personal stories.

I'm fortunate enough to have started bariatric surgery under the NHS, I spoke to my surgeon this week who wants to remove my gallbladder at the same time as I already have gallstones from previous fast weight loss, he's told me sleeve without removing the gallbladder would be bad as I'd suffer alot worse than I already have.

Anyone else had both done at once?

A lady who I live near had to have 2 separate surgeries at the same place I'm going to have it done.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have heard of people having their gallbladder removed at the same time as having their wgt loss surgery _ I am sure the surgeon will do whatever he/she considers best for you personally as no 2 people are the same with their health conditions - you could join a forum dedicated to wgt loss surgery where you might be able to talk to a broader cross section of people who have undergone what you describe - there are lots of forums and support groups online where you could possibly glean further info - one such place would be WLSinfo or there might be something on facebook though with FB it is more public and maybe you do not  want everyone to know your personal business if  you know what I mean
  • Posted

Both of these conditions are related to

What you eat.

I have had gallstones, and I went to emergency many a nights to have a morphine shot

Most times the gallbladder attacks were from eating

Too much fat at once or very spicy foods

I have recently cut wheat from my diet completely

And have not had a gallbladder attack since

And feel much healthier

I did not have gallbladder surgery.

It really depends if you eat really healthy

I don't think you would even need a

Gallbladder surgery and you might

Lose weight too and not need

The bariatric surgery

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience with it is very helpful and informative.
  • Posted

The main thing is

To not eat too much fat at once

Things like steak gave me

Many gallbladder attacks

Good luck

• Posted

you might be better on a wgt loss surgery forum where there will be people who will understand better the complex situation regarding bariatric surgery and gall bladder removal surgery rather than just gall stone trouble on it's own which is a different matter - I am  sure the surgeon and bariatric team will do what is best for you and your particular health status - good luck

• Posted

I know about both conditions

The surgery is her choice

I was just trying to help her

Not have to do both surgeries at once

• Posted

having both surgeries at the same time could well be the easier option - for example it would only involve one lot of anaesthetic - but like I said above - I am sure the bariatric team will take everything into consideration and do what is best for the individual concerned

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.