Gastric Sleeve - any one got any experience of this op and how did you get on

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am looking at having the Gastric Sleeve done and wonder how everyone else has got on with it especially the post  op diet

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I had gastric sleeved surgery 31st March 2015, so am coming up to my first year post op. I have lost just over seven stone, it is the best thing I ever did. I am now completely off my blood pressure tablets and am a much healthier, happier person. The first few weeks after surgery were difficult having puréed food, soft food before being allowed solid food at 8 weeks however that is in place for a reason to let your smaller stomach heal. Yes I cannot eat a lot but compared to what I could eat in the initial stages post op , it has improved.  The one thing I would suggest is find a support group I attend one once a month and it is for pre-op and post-op weight loss surgery patients. Anything else you may want to know please ask, good luck 

• Posted

Thanks for that I know it will not be easy but I am hoping for great results.  My problem at the moment is I take a lot of painkillers and I am worried that taking the quantity that I take now will send me away with the fairies if I don't have any food in my new stomach.  Also I don't take tablets very well and cannot do it with fluid have to have food which is going to take me all day to get through my normal tablet regime.  I know this is something that I will need to discuss with my GP but I am concerned and it is something that may put me off going ahead with the op
    • Posted

Hello Mollymoo7711,

I have been referred to a Bariatric Surgeon, have not seen him/her yet but know what the main options are. Thinking of the Bypass and then the Sleeve what do you think.is better ? I think I like the sound of the sleeve as you still have a stomach and the function.of your digestive system is not altered drastically......am so nervous.....do you still think its the best thing you ever did ? Just trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make the best decision for me. Not sure what will happen long term, do you think its safe, could not find anything on the net regarding long term living etc.....

Really appreciate any advice you can give?

Kind Regards

Saema

• Posted

Hi Saema

it sounds as if you are feeling just the same as me. I'm due my pre op assessment this Friday & have to travel into London as I'm having op in UCHL. I've had ops before but this time I'm worried that its too much at my age, I'm 68 in March. My niece had it done a year ago & is fine, shes 53 & she's a size 12 now but still suffers with dumping syndrome if she eats slightly too much & I dread that in case it happens in a restaurant or something. Its very frightening & the pre op food terrifies me, I've been told its to shine my liver to help the surgeon during the op....I'm just so unsure.

• Posted

The post op period, 6 to 8 weeks minimum, is boring and repetitive But it's SO worth it. Just when you think you can't face another thimble of jello or pureed ham, you catch a glimpse of your new body in the mirror, or slip into pants three sizes smaller than you'very worn in years. It seems all SO worth it You will be happier and healthier than you can imagine.

My advice? Don't cheat and don't cut corners. Stick exactly with the program they give you. Count protein, calcium, B-12, water.....exactly the way they they tell you. Exactly.

I am just at the six month mark and have already reached 75% of my weight loss goal. I walk a lot and am now jogging. Losing has slowed down, but I'm still dropping. I do a simple free weight upper body routine three times a week at home, plus some leg lifts on the floor while I watch TV. That's it.

I eat anything I want, just less of it and protein first. Actually, I'm eating a lot of fun foods I haven't had in years. When you can only eat small amounts, you can have things you couldn't trust yourself not to overeat in the past.

I have a glass of white wine almost every day, which means I can socialize as usual with girlfriends, etc. My advice is not to rush into alcohol and try first at home. Sip slowly till you're used to it.

The only thing I regret about the surgery is not doing it years ago. And my best advice to you is to follow the program exactly as written. Don't cut corners and don't cheat!

• Posted

Thanks - I know it isn't going to be easy but hearing from people who have done it and have come through the other side is very helpfull.  I can't say I am looking forward to it as it all sounds a bit grim but if I can get back to waling the dogs and doing a bit of gardening which I haven't done since my Arthritis took such a hold it will all have been worth while.
    • Posted

Hey Margaret,

I just messaged Mollymoo hope you could have a read as its on this thread discussion, any advice and encouragement would be greatly appreciated?

Kind Regards

Saema

• Posted

Hi i had a gastric sleeve done 6 yrs ago i lost roughly 6 stone in 6 months but in the past 18 months my weight is gradually creeping back on i hope this helps im feeling desperate as i just dont know what to do
    • Posted

I have the same fear, I have had two weight loss surgeries and it is such a tough battle. This is one seriously tough illness to beat. I hope you get back on track soon xxx
  • Posted

Had a Gastric Band in 2004, lost 10 stone of the 15 stone I needed to lose in first two years, thereafter I struggled to maintain and with a slow but steady increase and gaining 3 stone back I finally opted for a Gastric Sleeve abroad in April 2016.  I was happy to see the band go as I hated it and excited for the sleeve. Now 6 weeks later I have lost 40lbs and can eat very little. The challenge of not cheating remains tough as I can still eat those slider carbs like ice cream and chocolate (although smaller amounts than with band) and I realise what a long way I have to go.  The surgery is just one part, food addiction is just awful but I hate being obese more and I need to make this work. I hope it works out for you xx
    • Posted

Hi which hospital/surgeon would you recommend please?

I had a band in 2011 and and am now looking at a sleeve or bypass.

Thanks

• Posted

I had my band to sleeve conversion done in one procedure in Prague. I travelled from the UK as it was much much cheaper. The company I went with are called New Leaf.
  • Posted

Not sure where you live im in london England
  • Posted

Hi Diane, I am almost 3 months post op and feel it is the best decision I have made. I am 52 years old and thought I would be fat for the rest of my life until my GPS threw me a lifeline. My bmi was 51 and I had struggled most of my life losing copious amounts of weight then gaining. I had

my op on the NHS and the whole process took approximately 12 months. Post op, I find as long as I listen to my stomach now and eat when it growls and stop when I feel full I know all the weight will still carry on coming off. I am going great guns having lost a total of 5 stone 3lbs. If you are willing to listen to the advice from the professionals and ridgedly follow your pre op and post op diets you cannot fail. I went on holiday in August, I didn't have to ask for a seat belt extension and was not the fattest person on the beach or by the pool, it felt wonderful!! I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever you decide ?

• Posted

Me too & I'm worried as I'm 68 & really not sure I want to be pulled around at my age. Don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.