Gastric ulcer bleed 3 weeks ago. On Clopidogrel

Posted , 3 users are following.

3 weeks ago I was vomiting blood and passing blood per rectum and was admitted into hospital in Nairobi.. Endoscopy showed a large stomach ulcer. Colonoscopy was normal. I have been on Clopidogrel since a femoral bypass in the UK on 2 Dec 2015 for a clotted aneurysm, dvt and an embolism. What is the thinking about stopping the Clopidogrel ? thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gate_Keeper - i was on Clopidogrel for about 2 years when I finally threw them away. As I understand it, the drug is used for six months or so before being discarded. Was Clopidogrel responsible for the bleeding?

• Posted

Hi Wayne1962

Thank you for answering. I have 5 Aneurysms. Each one has a rough lining on the inside and can attract clots. The idea of the Clopidogrel was to keep the bypass working and to stop new clots forming inside the Aneurysms. I read on the net that a side-effect of Clopidogrel is Duodenal or Peptic Ulcers.

I feel as though I am between a rock and a hard place, when the physician at the hospital told me, next time I have a bleed from the stomach, I will be in trouble. He said there is not antidote and it takes 5 days for the Clopidogrel to get out of my system. I forgot to ask the Doctor if it caused the stomach ulcer.

When I vomited the blood in the emergency room, I threw up about 2 pints of the stuff, I went into shock , felt ghastly. I had an emergency endoscopy, I was put to sleep and the ulcer was cauterised/clipped and the bleeding was stopped.

It was brave off you to throw your Clopidrogrel tablets away. I hope you are better.

• Posted

In reply to my question, I wrote to the vascular surgeon who carried out the bypass and I asked him the same. He emailed me yesterday and said I must remain on Clopidogrel and Esomeprazole for life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.