Gastric Ulcers, Hiatal Hernia, Erosive erythema, stomach nodules

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed by endoscopy with Gastric Ulcers, Esophagitis, Hiatal hernia, erosive erythema of duodenum and stomach, and stomach nodules. The biopsies show no H pylori. I was prescribed Nexium 40mg in the morning and Zantac 150mg in the evening. It has been a little over 4 weeks and the doctors are insisting I have a repeat endoscopy (which is scheduled for tomorrow) to see if the ulcers are healing. I personally don't feel like they have healed since the pain is still with me daily. I feel like this is too soon. Has anyone else gone back so quickly after their first endoscopy? If so, did you still experience pain and did your ulcers heal within that timeframe?

Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be the ulceration etc. has healed but the pain reside or they may wish to check the treatment regimen is workings.
  • Posted

Hi Sara

Sorry to hear of your problems and that you've joined the 'Gastric' club.

It is strange that Erosive Erythema seems never to be associated with H.pylori. In fact in spite of the damage it causes H.pylori is classed as non erosive.

HavingĀ  been on the receiving end a time or two I know that Endoscopies are unpleasant but at least you can ask for sedation rather than the local anaesthetic spray.

Look at it this way.

I take it that you are getting free Endoscopies (and they are not cheap) and the Medics are caring enough to want to know how your inflammation is progressing.

Yes, you know your own body better than anybody and yes, you know if you've still got inflammation but with your condition you need to keep the Medics onside and batting for you.

Time to worry is if nobody cares and Endoscopies are refused (it happens in dozens of cases).

With your condition - though you may not be improving much - there is a strong medical need to see that it is not getting worse.

Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I'm actually not getting free endoscopies which is why I would prefer to wait. If the ulcers haven't healed and I have to do another round of medicine for 4 weeks then have it checked again it's going to be very expensive for me. I guess I shouldn't be complaining, I am fortunate enough to have doctors that care. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Sara,

I would get the endoscopy I got mine 3 months after the first one. It is a good idea to see it is healing. I didn't feel like it healed but it showed significant improvement even though I still had pain. Stay postitive and it will all go away. Good luck.

• Posted

I was told to go back 2 months later for follow up endoscopy being diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer. But after taking omeprazole during that 2 months the pain had eased. Maybe because of the other diagnosis sides they want you back earlier
  • Posted

Hi Sara

i was diagnosed with stomach ulcers at the beginning of Jan but tested negative for H.pylori. Consultant says they're caused by stress - not sure I believe him. However I've become very stressed since the diagnosis and this is obviously making matters worse. I was on 40mg of omeprazole before the endoscopy which was prescribed by my GP. Since then I've been on 30mg of lansoprazole but I'm not really feeling any better. I'm due for a repeat endoscopy in just over a weeks time and, like you, feel it's too soon. As you posted a while ago how did things go? Did they tell you what caused the ulcers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.