Gastrisis - Severe pain, had to phone Ambulance!?! Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've had cramps in my middle stomach, under my ribs for about a month (bearable pain) I've had an upper agai which indicated Gastrisis, biopsys have been done and I'm currently waiting on the results. I'm on 80mg omeprazole a day, and gaviscon. Since the upper GI (2 weeks ago) all my symptoms seem to have vanished and my eating has got back to almost normal. Until tonight... I had a McDonald's burger (I know I shouldn't have) and around 2 hours later went to bed (also a bad move). About 3/4 hours later I woke up with the worst pain I have ever been in in my life, I was practically screaming, had burning stomach pain, gnawing pain, to the point I was sick and almost blacked out. I took some gaviscon as it felt kind of like horrendous heartburn (which if anything made it worse). Because of the amount of pain I was in my boyfriend rang an ambulance. They came within 5 minutes, checked my heart and pretty much everything else. I was sick (which was majority burger) and since I've been sick it's eased off. The ambulance have advised me to see my doctor in the morning as if I went to hospital they wouldn't be able to do anything because it's so early in the morning the departments will be shut for scans etc.

At the moment I'm OK, slight heartburn but nothing to worry about, and it's been about 2 hours since I woke up.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, with the pain so severe? I'm praying it's an infection which antibiotics will clear because I can't live like this, I've never suffered any stomach trouble up until a month ago so why has this just started?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I had this happen to me about two weeks ago. I ate a bacon double cheeseburger and it had a lot of dressing on it. I usually omit the dressing and eat it plain. After about fifteen minutes i had the worst burning pain I have ever haf from the ribs to the back if my head behind my ears. It was a sudden flare and I was unable to breath. I felt like I was on fire.  It lasted a long time and threw me in a full blown panic attack.  I also thoight I was going to black out.  Started subsuding after a few hours, but stomach is still very sensative.  If I do not eat small portions every few hours I get the worst pressure in my stomach and head and feel like I will pass out.  Been to ER 3 times.  They told me to see cardio.  seeing my doctor tomorrow and will make appt with gastro.  Hope you get an answer. Keep us posted and I will do the same. Get to feeling better. 
  • Posted

Yes laura29342, welcome to the gastritis club. I've been battling this since the beginning of February and it's no joke. You really have to stick to a bland diet. When this first started I could only drink sprite and water, maybe a little broth from chicken noodle soup. I've lost a total of 40 lbs in this short time(im not complaining), and I've been to the ER 3 times. Since my pain has eased off, I do about 4-6 small meals. I'm pretty much living off apples, baked chicken or fish and rice. My biopsy results tested positive for heliobactor pylori which is another fight in itself. I'm a little over a month into this battle and I feel a lot better. I usually wake up about 4am because of acid reflux, but I can deal with that versus the searing pain from gastritis. I hope you feel better soon!!
    • Posted

What foods can you put with them? I can't eat apples normally they give me mouth ulcers. I've been having 99% of the time meat, fish, rice, potatoes, veg, porridge, cereal, toast, decaf tea. Is their anything off their I should be avoiding?
    • Posted

Great list so far! I just added eggs but all in all that's pretty much my diet as well.
    • Posted

Ps I don't do milk at all. Personal preference because it upsets my stomach any way
    • Posted

Ahhh right, sorry to be asking so many questions but when you say fish do you mean just fish, or would I be ok with breaded fish like fish fingers X
    • Posted

Nooo ask away, I sure have asked my share of questions since joining last month lol!! I would stay away from any of the breaded kind(even if you bake them) I've been baking fillets, no bread, just light seasoning(usually Italian) Tastes awful at first but I've gotten used to it since that's about all i can eat.
    • Posted

My GP has advised me to stick to a low fat diet for the time being, Do you think i'd be ok with dairylea light? I'm going to have jacket potato for tea but unsure whether dairylea light is low in fat with it being cheese? I only plan on putting a little on so the potato's not totally dry lol.

Laura x

• Posted

P.s I'm slowly starting to feel better. Have eaten smaller portions of quite bland food and i can see an improvement slightly. x
  • Posted

hmmmm..haven't eaten a single burger for over 2 years..yes that is right.. the last time I ate..had a sleepless episode..though the pain is bearable..i cannot find any comfortable position for sleeping..breathing difficulty followed. I have pain travelling all over my thoracic and tomach directly just below the sternum. I can literally feel lump of air pressing through my ribs.
    • Posted

hello Threena

.i have sleepless nights every night and cant sleep for protruding ribs and ribs digging in.i have pressure below and against my stomach and is worse after eating.

mine is also below my sternum which is being pushed upwards like my ribs.

• Posted

Hey Anbuma, elevating my upper body while I sleep has helped me a lot. You can buy wedge pillows or just stack about 3 or 4 regular pillows. I'm a stomach sleeper but that's a NO NO with this condition. Sleep on your back or left side and try not to lie down for about 2 hours after eating! I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

hi there, I used some liniment and it helped..but just for a few minutes that i was able to let out some gas... decided to take papaya.... we always have it in the frigde.. If I could only describe how much slices i have taken, it made mefeel worse because of the full stomach but after about 15 minutes I went to visit the toilet twice..and in the morning when i woke up.. i felt better.. however these episodes still come back..
    • Posted

hi april..with what i have experienced, you cannot sleep in any position.. air keeps on pressing from the inside and  it came up to the point even breathing is already difficult,there's this feeling that the stomach is so full and so bloated....
    • Posted

I went through that for almost 10 days before the ER diagnosed me with gastritis. The best I could do was catch a few hours of sleep while sitting straight up on the sofa. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad Threena
    • Posted

I cannot imagine the pain if i had it for ten days!!!!.. glad that we were able to manage..after eating papaya..it was really magic! i have it once in a while for preventive management..howeevr sometimes..i can't control what i eat! i gained 4 kilos in the last 8 months... that's why i think it's back... I just read how fennel can be used for constipation and bloating.. looking for that fennel.. haha..hope you're doing fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.