Gastritis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just found out that I have gastristis and while I kniw I shouldn't smoke (I still smoke two cigarettes a day, that is 11 less than usual) also no drinking which I don't. What foods are okay and won't cause major discomfort and what will? I know no acidic foods, but that means next to nothing to me.

I appreciate any time and effort put into this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Chocolate and coffee can irritate you if you have gastritis.  Acidic foods are those that are spicy and can cause pain or heartburn (acid in your stomach). Hot mustard, curries, chillies, spring onions and ginger are some examples.   Fatty, fried or greasy foods can also be triggers.  However, triggers may vary from person to person, the ones I have mentioned are the main culprits.  You could google gastritis diets, ask your doctor for one, or ask to be referred to a dietician.
  • Posted

Hello. I assume you have been tested for h pylori ? And have you been put on acid reducing medication ? If so you need to combine this with a strict diet for 2/3 months.

Cut out the following :

- alcohol

- fizzy drinks

- high fat / greasy and oily foods inc pastries

- High spice food

- anything acidic - some fruit and fruit juices / tomato / sweets etc

- chocolate / cakes - anything with high edibles sugar

- raw veg and gassy veg (cauliflower / onions)

- reduce your dairy intake

- no caffeine - tea and coffee (even decaf can be too much)

Do eat :

- lean cooked meats

- bread

- rice

- oats

- non acidic fruit

- well cooked or steamed veg

- scrambled or poached eggs

Basically bland and healthy foods !

Mainly drink still water.

Keep a food diary as some random foods may effect you. Everyone is different. You will make mistakes and be in discomfort but it's a slow recovery game. If you are doing right you should slowly feel better as time goes on. Come off ppi's slowly, don't come off them cold turkey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.