Gastritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Friday of last week my right arm was very painful, I couldn't even wash hair in shower, I just put it down to my PsA. The next day my back was throbbing at base of spine and up the right hand side, left arm started throbbing too along with rib pain , upper abdomen pains and a stabbing pain that felt like it was from the kidney area. I went to GP and he said I have Gastritis!! I'd ñever heard of it. He gave me Omoprazole. My question is though I've never had acid reflux, heartburn or indigestion ever and as he didn't offer any tests how can he be so sure?? I lost my dad to Gallbladder cancer so that is a worry. Did anyone have tests for Gastritis? Thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You need an Endoscopy to confirm gastritus . Taking Omaprazole or other PPI for too long has side effects .. insist on Endoscopy .I have Gastritis and struggling at moment . Don't worry about Endoscopy ..ask for sedation and you won't remember a thing .good luck
  • Posted

You need an Endoscopy to confirm gastritus . Taking Omaprazole or other PPI for too long has side effects .. insist on Endoscopy .I have Gastritis and struggling at moment . Don't worry about Endoscopy ..ask for sedation and you won't remember a thing .good luck
  • Posted

P's ask for H.Polori bacteria test as well it must be a stool test or breath test Not blood .if it comes back positive you'll be on antibiotics in which case you need to be on a decent probiotic ..Gògle Prof Invar Bjarnsson and look on Web site for the correct probiotic ...its the only one to take .Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Jane.

I also had the pain that you describe in the same places and I didn't really have any acid reflux. I had severe pain in my left side and round to.my back. Did the stupid thing of googling my symptoms and it brought up pancreatic cancer. I was petrified so went back to GP as after taking omeprazole I was still in pain. I was then changed over to lansoprazole and ranitidine which allowed me to have an appetite and to eat a bit better. I was then referred for an endoscopy which I was dreading but believe me in.my case I went without sedation and it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. This confirmed mild gastritis but they told me that this didn't mean that the pain would be any less. I've had this since xmas now and I've just come off one of the tablets but the pain is still there just not as severe. Please don't do what I did and worried myself about cancer. If tests come through normal it really is just gastritis. Keep us posted and let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hi Carol .I've had it since Christmas as well came off Omaprazole too soon and has relapse so back on with different symptoms ...lower back pain and aching stomach ..rather like a gnawing period pain ..if I remember I'm 64 !!!! Really struggling hot water bottle strapped to me most days ..I have sore throat and bloating wind ...any advice ... are you changing your diet .. I'm loathed to go down that route ..dont smoke or drink exercise regularly although not so much with back pain ..why me !!! .
    • Posted

Hi Alison.

I have just come off ranitidine and now just taking Lansoprazole so waiting to see if I get any more pain. I only drink water now

and I've started to introduce new foods back in. I've given up

alcohol completely. The Dr that did my endoscopy told me that

in most cases it is just time and it can take longer in some than

others. I'm not cured or completely over it so I guess we just have to wait. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Carol .. it helps to know others are in the same boat !!!   It sounds as if you are on your way to recovery ... gently does it   and time will heal Im sure . 

Have you cut out gluten or dairy .  what do you eat generally  is there anything you avoid .. x

• Posted

Hi Jane.

I also had the pain that you describe in the same places and I didn't really have any acid reflux. I had severe pain in my left side and round to.my back. Did the stupid thing of googling my symptoms and it brought up pancreatic cancer. I was petrified so went back to GP as after taking omeprazole I was still in pain. I was then changed over to lansoprazole and ranitidine which allowed me to have an appetite and to eat a bit better. I was then referred for an endoscopy which I was dreading but believe me in.my case I went without sedation and it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. This confirmed mild gastritis but they told me that this didn't mean that the pain would be any less. I've had this since xmas now and I've just come off one of the tablets but the pain is still there just not as severe. Please don't do what I did and worried myself about cancer. If tests come through normal it really is just gastritis. Keep us posted and let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

omoprazole can help your  stomach recover from bleeds or ulcers. It may have been given as a precaution to check for any improvements in your system. It is also used for acid reflux.  If you had gastro enteritis you would have diarhoea stomach discomfort and severe headache.

rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.