Gastritis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi.  This is my first post.  I just saw the doctor today.  I thought I was having bad indigestion and gas pain.  She said I have gastritis and it is very common.  She said she sees it a lot, and she does not seem very worried.  I was told to take Nexium for 14 days, and take probiotics.  She thinks I will start feeling better within a week.

She also thinks spicy food is to blame.  My husband is always eatting a lot of Indian style food, and I have been eating it too. 

I am just wondering if this is pretty common given my lifestyle.  I am a little about "stomach erosion."  Will be stomach lining heal?  Is this nothing to be really concerned about?  

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

She also said the inside of my stomach could be "ulcerated."  

Does that mean I could have an ulcer ontop of gastritis?  

• Posted

Hi I had 2 ulcers 18 months ago but cleared up when I took 40mg omaprozil twice daily . I have been diagnosed with gastritis 2 weeks ago it does settle eventually but it does take time stay off all spicy food 
    • Posted

Hi Mary, I have Gastritis too. Just got out of hospital it was that bad. It  was diagnosed via endoscopy. That is generally how ulcers will be diagnosed too.  Issue I am having now is that is feels like I have a chest infection after the endoscope. I have had one before and it never felt like this. Anyone else develop a chest infection after having a endoscopy?
    • Posted

Hi Mary I started having really bad heartburn and pain under my breast bone had a endoscopy and was diagnosed with the 2 ulcers cleared up after a few months 
    • Posted

That is great.  I am glad your ulcers cleared up.  How long did you have to take omaprozil?
    • Posted

Hi Savannah

So far I have been keeping the gastritis under control by watching my diet. I was just wondering if symptons of ulcer are the same as gastritis. My major sympton was burning, which has stopped , now it's mainly bloating and acid rebound mainly in the morning. I only take zantac. I was doing the PPI dexilant every other day but I don't like the side effects. I try managing it with natural alternatives which is working good. I did get 99 percent better back in March in the beginning of my diagnosis until I took antibiotic which trigger a flare again. Hopefully I will get rid of this completely.

Prayers up for you too.?

• Posted

I am still taking omaprozil but on a lower dose just to make sure I am controlling my acid reflux 
    • Posted

Hi jackie 

I think i,ve been suffering something similar but out of interest did your symptoms start suddendly?

Reason i ask is because up until  about a week and a half ago i was absolutley fine then suddendly woke one night with really bad pain under the breast bone which has now eased through the day until im laid trying to sleep on a night then after a couple of hours becomes painful again and my stomache is sore to the touch and bloated? currenty been on the 80mg of omeprazole for 3 days with ranitadine.

endoscopy is a couple of weeks away so just though id ask others experiences to see if it could shed some light on my misereysmile  

• Posted

Hi yes it's does sound the same as mine I didn't get any symptoms for months then started to get bad pain under breast bone which would come and go all the time glad your having a endoscopy that should make things more clearer on what's causing your symptoms .good luck hope all goes well

• Posted

Avoid spicy and fatty foods and take the medication you were prescribed and your stomach lining should heal.  If your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't be anxious either.  Worry will make your symptoms worse.  Try a food diary to see what foods cause you symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you.  Are you a medical professional?  My doctor seems to think it's our spicy food diet.  My husband and I eat a lot of spicy Indian and Pakistani type of food.  

• Posted

I am not a medical professional, however, spicy and fatty foods can irritate your stomach more if you have gastritis.
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies.  I am starting to feel better.  This Nexium is making mouth feel dry and gross though.  I suppose that is common. 
  • Posted

Ok, did your doctor tell you what Gastritis was?
    • Posted

She said that my stomach was inflamed and that it could be ulcurated.  I was told to take Nexium and Probiotics for 14 days.  I have really bad gas in my ribs too.  It's getting better.  I really hope I feel completely better in two weeks.  She didn't really say much after that, expect that my condition is common and she sees it a lot.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.