Gastritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

So for about two weeks I've had this mild nausea/indigestion. I went to see the doc and she thought it was gastritis and she prescribed me zantac which has helped a decent amount. However, I am still getting these symptoms, not as bad before, it is most noticeable after I eat a meal I'll get nauseous like a 5-6 out of 10(10 being the worst). Any thoughts on what it might be.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If it is certainly gastritis than there's a few things you can do. I'm still currently dealing with gastritis and two things that help me get meals down is brewing a cup of Chamomile tea (no honey) before the meal, and chewing a couple tablets of DGL licorice which you should be able to pick up at any drug store. Take your meals slow and make sure to chew them well. I know this can all vary with the severity of individuals cases but it does seem to help me! If the nausea gets to be unbearable see if you can get a prescription for Zofran. If all the symptoms persist or you get new ones you should poke your doctor to look into it more to see if it's something else. Hope that's helpful! 

• Posted

Do you have any symptoms of gas in the stomach or bloating? I have also been dealing with indigestion but rarely get nauseous unless I have a ton of gas in my stomach. Currently trying to figure out my situation as well. I have a post of my own if you’d like to read it to see if you have similar symptoms. I’m currently awaiting results for sibo and my gallbladder. Other possibility is a motility issue.  
  • Posted

Could be gastritis if you are having problems after eating.  If your doctor suggests gastritis, accept this.  Your doctor is the only one who can diagnose you.   Trust your doctor. Try a food diary to see what food could be the problem since the symptoms are most noticeable after eating.  Stick to a bland diet and avoid anything spicy, rich or fatty.

Go back to your doctor if your symptoms continue or get worse, ask about GERD and gallbladder problems.

• Posted

I'm only 21 years old and have no other health issues. I doubt I have GERD or gall bladder issues, but I guess it's possible. I'm thinking it may be that H. Pylori bacteria infection. Seems to be common.

• Posted

I’m 21 as well. You should ask for the easiest tests you can have done without any procedures yet. H pylori blood test or stool test. Celiac blood test. If Zantac gave you some relief then it’s most likely acid and maybe you just need a stronger bed like a PPI. Should be fine after a month of taking that or even less. If nothing is found, then you’ll most likely need and egd to see if they can see any signs of gastritis/ulcers and can take biopsies for h pylori and celiac. Hopefully they find something, so far all my tests have returned negative and I have had indigestion for two months now. Also try eating cleaner in the mean time, see if it does anything. Good luck 
    • Posted

I got GERD before I was 21.  It can happen at any time.  If you have frequent heartburn, a persistant dry cough and chest pain which is relieved by antacids, this would suggest GERD. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. So I went in for a follow up with the same PA-C and told her that the Zantac had been helping a little bit but I still get nauseas almost anytime I eat or drink anything, even water. She prescribed me omeprazole to take for two weeks. So far after a week of taking it, that has provided little to no help for me. She also had me do some blood work. CBC and H. Pylori antibody tests were ordered, CBC was normal and H. Pylori came back negative which was nice to hear. So at this point she is thinking it could still be chronic gastritis or perhaps even GERD, although I’m not really suspecting GERD because I don’t have any of the symptoms really. Perhaps this could be alcohol related as I’m a college student and do binge drink regularly, although this has never been a problem in the past. I have been drinking while all this has been going on and it doesn’t seem to get irritated all that much more. Anybody have any thoughts? PA-C wants me to take omeprazole for another week and then come in again if it’s not better. Is omeprazole something that takes a while to work? Any help or suggestions is appreciated. 
    • Posted

Omeprazole can take up to four weeks to work.  Some people get relief after a few days whereas others take longer.  Everyone is different.  Persevere with the omeprazole and give it time to work.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear. I suspect I have gastritis too. Apart from medication, it is important to make diet and lifestyle changes. Eat small portions, eat on time. Stick to a bland diet for now. Nothing spicy, citrus, caffeinated. Try probiotics. 
  • Posted

I had the same problem as you 2months ago I get severe nausea after eating , losses weight my gestro doctor ordered me endoscopy found out I have got antral gastritis, you should avoid spices, alcohol , eating too much, and high fatty foods for a month and don't stay hungry for too long either 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.