Gastritis and acid reflux one year post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago after being diagnosed with polyps. Everything went well until about three months ago when I started suffering from acid reflux and gastritis. Could it be caused by my lack of gallbladder?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

were the polyps big? is that why they removed it?

• Posted

Hi Juan

Yes I think it probably is as I had mine out in March 2017 and I've just had an endoscopy that showed gastroduodenitis and bile reflux which wasn't there when I had an endoscopy in 2016 so I can only think that it is connected.

Some of the information that I've read does say bile reflux can cause it.

I'm just trying out different combinations of drugs as the moment to reduce the pain as unfortunately I'm allergic to some of them.

You should probably take some ppi's to reduce your stomach acid, that may help in the first instance.

What does your doctor say?

Let me know.

• Posted

Hi Juan yes removal of gallbladder can cause a whole host of nasty symptoms. Had mine out 14 months ago. At about the 7th month I got extremely sick with reflux and gastritis. I now have unbearable bloating that never lets up. I had ibs for over 50 years and the bile has exacerbated it to the point that everything I eat is no longer tolerated. I sometimes can't even drink water from the trapped gas and bloat pain. Hopefully you can take meds that I cannot so you can have some comfort

• Posted

YES!

At the very least, I am glad I am not alone in this or going crazy. I have been having gastric pain since shortly after my gb removal. To help keep it in check, I have had to do the following:

• SLEEP ON A WEDGE
    • ACIPHEX (ppi) 2x a day
    • zantac 150mg 2x a day
    • zyrtec 2x a day
    • citalopram 30mg 1x a day
    • stopped eating gluten
    • stopped eating dairy
    • gaviscon for breakthrough gastric pain

note: ppi's will cause stomach polyps so try to avoid those if u can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.