gastritis and medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys my name is Jose M, I’m a 21 years old college student.

I've been suffering gastritis and dyspepsia symptoms for about 6 months. I went to the doctor and had an endoscopy done, it came clear of H Priory bacteria and no signs of gastritis so my doctor prescribed me Zantac and a change of diet (less acidic). I have changed my diet and started taking zantac twice a day which helped a lot but I still have less severe symptoms. My doctor says to treat it like gastritis, and recommended me to start taking omeprazole instead of zantac but I don’t really want to start taking this medication as I feel I will become dependable of this medication like I did with zantac (I have to take zantac every day otherwise I have acid coming up) what do you guys recommend me? And does gastritis last forever?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jose

When the endoscopy was done, did it show a hiatal hernia?

Keeping the stomach acid in the stomach is very important. I suggest you elevate the head of your bed 5-6 inches. Some people have complete relief with this simple solution.

Never bend over because this allows reflux to occur

Have you and your physician considered oral antacids such as Tums?

Gastritis can be very successfully managed. This is a rough stretch for yoy.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

ginger+cucumber+honey and water smoothie. ginger good for any kind of inflammation

• Posted

Hi Jose,

I found Omeprazole ineffective after 5 months of a high dosage so stopped taking them, initially given for silent reflux. I have been on a gastritis diet for over a week and also drinking freshly made vegetable juice in the morning together with Enzyme capsules and I am feeling good. The symptoms are still there but much more manageable and I see that each day is a day closer to recovery. I have given myself a six month target as want to be symptom free by the time I go on holiday. Basically, for me, taking charge of my health rather than prescribed medication, which only masks but doesn't cure, was the only way forward.

Hope this helps and wish the best of health for the future.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I've tried celery juice in morning but I'm not sure it agreed with me. First day was good but second day no. I used the celery leaves second day. Do u think that would make a difference. What veggies do u use?

Also where do I get info on gastritis diet?

Thank you

Dom

• Posted

Hi Dominic,

I make my juice using 2 or 3 carrots and add a stick of celery or a small eating apple. Have also made carrot and spinach.

I got the book online through the major on line retailer. The recipes are bland but making the difference and that's what counts. The book is called The Gastritis and Gerd cookbook by Colleen Coleman.

Hope you find this useful

Regards

Sue

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your responses is good to know that I'm not alone in this.

Ihavenonickname the endoscopy was done 3 months ago and it was all clear it just showed a slightly irregular Z line and my physician told me ranitidine was better to control gastritis

• Posted

some doctors actually advise to seek peer advices- those suffering from the same illness if only to ease the anxiety. knowing how other people cope, sharing how one copes is a form of therapy. only 1% of gastritis, esophagitis, gerd or lpr can be considered serious or will become serious, thats comforting to know- my gastro said that and some on-line references confirms. good luck to all of us and lets share until we are 100 years old.
    • Posted

Hooray! You do not have H Pylori. Hooray! You do not have hiatal hernia.

I am happy for you

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.