gastritis and omeprazol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys my name is Jose M, I’m a 21 years old college student.

I've been suffering gastritis and dyspepsia symptoms for about 6 months. I went to the doctor and had an endoscopy done, it came clear of H Priory bacteria and no signs of gastritis so my doctor prescribed me Zantac and a change of diet (less acidic). I have changed my diet and started taking zantac twice a day which helped a lot but I still have less severe symptoms. My doctor says to treat it like gastritis, and recommended me to start taking omeprazole instead of zantac but I don’t really want to start taking this medication as I feel I will become depend of this medication like I did with zantac (I have to take zantac every day otherwise I have acid coming up) what do you guys recommend me? And does gastritis last forever?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you are too worried about becoming to dependant on the antacids you can always try getting some activated charcoal to hell absorb the gas and acid in your stomach. And no gastritis does not last forever.
  • Posted

Do you smoke or drink? Also do you drink any sort of caffeine? Are you seeing a gastroenterologist? Have they mentioned acid reflux or GUESs? There are many different b types of gastritis and can be acute or chronic, chronic does not mean forever, but these are questions and concerns you need to ask your doctor about. Have they done any other tests and are you experiencing any other symptom? There is other medications that are used for this condition I would ask about those. You also might keep a food journal to see when your symptoms are worse. I would also ask about probiotics.
    • Posted

I have never smoke and I stopped eating/drinking coffee, alcohol, lactose, meat, tomatoes, onions and citric juice or fruits. Yes, they have mentioned acid reflux too and ofc I will ask as many questions as possible to my GI doctor in my next appointment
    • Posted

It is odd they are treating you for gastritis even though your endoscope showed no gastritis. Have they done an upper GI on you? In your endoscope did they see any ulcers? Also did they rule out gastroparesis? In your endoscope did they say there was any signs of acid into your esophagus, it could be a sign of acid reflux. Also try Not eating late at night. After you do eat try not laying down, stay upright for about an hour to see if that makes a difference also try eating small meals through out the day.
    • Posted

I know i find it odd too as the endoscopy showed no signs of gastritis or acid reflux. My doctors says that it's do to college stress but I finished school in June and I'm currently not working so there's no stress in my life at all.

I'm currently following all the acid reflux recommendations but I still have some acid.

• Posted

I took omeprazole for a long period and I didn't get dependent on it nor did I get acid rebound when I came off them quickly.  I take over the counter antacids as and when I need them and don't feel dependent on them either. Everyone reacts differently.  If still concerned about this, try milk instead which works as an excellent antacid so long as you are not lactose intolerant.  I find milk very good for hearburn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.