Gastritis clear, still in pain.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had treatment for H Pylori several times over a number of years. I thought it was back because of upper stomach, side shoulder & back pain along with bloating and tendernes. I tested negative so GP arranged an endoscopy which found a small polyp and erosive gastritis. I was prescribed 3 months 40mg omnaprazole and given an appointment for a repeat endoscopy because of family history. I was also given a scan of upper GI and pelvic organs(negative)

I've had the repeat endoscopy today and the polyp has virtually receded & the gastritis almost cleared (biopsies taken).

The problem is, I still have all the symptoms in fact the burning in my stomach is worse.

Here's the interesting bit. I asked the gastrologist if the PPI's could be causing symptoms and she said yes it can happen. She suggested reducing them or asking my GP for a different one. It seems they helped the gastritis but may be causing similar pains

I've  had 4 major surgeries ( hip & spine, the latest 2 level ACDF 10 wks ago) and lost my brother to stomach cancer in the last 3 years & now my sister is fighting colorectal cancer. So I'm wondering if stress could be a major factor in this. I'm quite a calm person and don't stress easily but I'm also wondering why they ask you before endoscopy if you've had major surgery.

Sorry for the long post, first time.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have lower right abdominal pain.I have done endoscopy,colonoscopy ultrasound etc.reports came normal.i have also burning sensation in my stomach in morning and evening.whenever take ppi burning sensation increases and burping occurs.Have you tried alovera for this purpose.
    • Posted

Hi AKN,

My lower stomach is ok, maybe you have IBS, don't know much about it though.

I have reduced my PPI's to 20 mg and I'm taking probiotics. I feel a little better but suspect I may have allergy/post nasal drip affecting my stomach. I will keep an eye on this.

Alovera is something I could try, guess it's a case of trial and error.

• Posted

YesSusie I have ibs-d.I have right side abdominal mild pain always. No Antispasmodic works for me.
    • Posted

I have continued with the 20mg omnaprazole first thing on an empty stomach, nothing to eat or drink for 1/2 hr. I'm also continuing to take  a small supermarket probiotic drink along with a high strength probiotic capsule. This seems to be helping the burping and burning which is only about 25% of what it was but I still have symptoms when I eat fatty food.

I still have tenderness and right sided rib/back pain but think this could  be either stomach related or a trapped nerve in my thoracic spine. Started treatment with a physiotherapist so hopefully this will help.

Did you have an H-pylori test? This bacteria can be nasty,  I believe it caused my erosive gastritis and left me prone to these stomach problems.

Hope you find some relief

• Posted

Gastritis refers to several different conditions where inflammation of the gastric mucous membranes of the stomach lining occurs.

Some people have severe gastritis without experiencing symptoms; conversely, minor stomach lining changes may result in severe symptoms. It’s more common for the elderly to develop stomach damage, and be without symptoms until, quite suddenly, they begin to experience internal bleeding.

• Posted

I would like to hear how I could deal with this. I was treating gastritis by fasting and drinking hot water during fast but the results lasts only about 10 days or so and then again there is abdominal pain.

I have gastritis also and I know that fasting and using water are really of help in treating gastritis but gastritis treatment doesn't end here. The way you eat and what you eat are also very important part of the gastritis treatment. Eating too much or eating different kind of a food per one meal might trigger your gastritis attack and therefore you still.

• Posted

I have continued with the 20mg omnaprazole first thing on an empty stomach, nothing to eat or drink for 1/2 hr. I'm also continuing to take  a small supermarket probiotic drink along with a high strength probiotic capsule. This seems to be helping the burping and burning which is only about 25% of what it was but I still have symptoms when I eat fatty food.

I still have tenderness and right sided rib/back pain but think this could  be either stomach related or a trapped nerve in my thoracic spine (I have other spinal problems)  Started treatment with a physiotherapist so hopefully this will help.

Did you have an H-pylori test? This bacteria can be nasty,  I believe it has caused my erosive gastritis and left me prone to these stomach problems.

Hope you find some relief

Report this

? 0

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.