Gastritis, from reflux or drug-induced?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago I was diagnosed with gastritis. I admit I did take a messy course of self-prescribed antibiotecs for a tooth infection, it included aspirin and pensilin, which I discontinued 4 months ago.

My question is, if the gastritis was a result of those drugs, shouldn't I have recovered after discontinuing the drugs? Or could it be bile reflux and have nothing to do with the drugs?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The number one cause of gastritis is h.pylori, next is NSAID's..ie aspirin,

It can cause a lesion/ulcer..until healed gastritis remains. Some can heal quickly, if treated ,,if not ?

The stomach lining has barriers that protect it from gastric acids including bile but if it has been compromised. Its at risk. Claudio

• Posted

So you're saying the gastritis that resulted from NASAIDs can still continue even if the drug is discontued, and doesn't necessarily mean it's from H. Pylori.

I am trying to pin point if the drug was in deed the culprit, and not H. Pylori. I know a biopsy can rule that out, but it's too late as I already been through a lot of trouble to get the gastroscopy done.

• Posted

Only if the endoscopy discovered an issue. Since you seem to want to self doctor, I'm with Christine...an oral cavity infection "can" cause gastritis in few different pathways...get dental xray of your dental problemed area..its cheap...then be "creative" and get a fecal lab test...don't know if you can obtain a UBT and pay out of pocket? but that would be an option.

I don't know where you are, but in most countries nowadays, the endoscopist is not the primary care physician (GP), results of a gastrocopy including photos are sent to the GP for furhter discussion with patient.

While youo may not have HP...assurance  trumps...it can be supressed and not cause problems but it's an opportunistic pathogen, given the chance it can move out of its domain and attempt to colonize elsewhere.

• Posted

It has been discussed that Oral Sepsis can be a cause of Septic gastritis...

It is never good to ignor or selftreat tooth decay or abcesses. Septiceamia is a danger from this as the bones themselves can become infected. Always seek professional help. The only self help if you can't is to pull the tooth out completely but that too could be dangerous, a last resort only if you are far from help of any kind.

'Carious teeth mean imperfect

mastication, consequently increased and unnecessary work for

the stomach, this leading in course of time to the various ills

connected with impaired digestion. Such a mechanical relation

is by no means the only, or the most important, relation of

dental disease to general health.''

• Posted

I don't think there was any sepsis at any point as none of such sepsis symptoms were present, so I don't think it's septic gastritis. Tooth decay was a direct result of silent reflux to start with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.