Gastritis from supplement injury?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Pretty sure I did this to myself, but curious to hear others' experiences. Was taking plant based iron tabs (cuz I'm vegan) and Chlorella for about 4-6 weeks. I noticed a couple weeks in, I had mild sharp pains that started in my left mid to upper back that would come and go quickly throughout the day, especially after eating or being full. At that point, I hadn’t put it together that it could be caused from the supplements I was taking. A week or two later the LUQ pain started that radiated to my left side (in line with the axillary area), with mild mid to upper back pain. Felt like a slight strain that would occasionally refer to the right mid back (but stayed more to the middle). A week later, the pain continued...right under the rib cage following around to the back slightly higher than bra strap line. I had noticed more indigestion lately, so I chalked it up to a GERD flare up. Of course, I just kept shovelling the supplements. Not my brightest moment. The pains became more frequent and my stomach began cramping more...so I finally wised up and stopped all my supplements to give my stomach a break. This is my second week off of them, and the discomfort seems a little better. I have lots of gas and belching, as well. The pain definitely gets better with food, (it becomes more of a pressure feeling than a pain after eating), but the food just seems to sit in my stomach all day with a sour feeling. I feel full and bloated. Its usually about dinner when I may start to feel hungry. It seems like I've had this all previously with gastritis flare ups with the exception of some of the sharper pains in my back. Can't wait for my poor digestive system gets back on track. I should've known better than to have accosted my poor stomach with harsh supplements like iron and chlorella. After reading the side effects, I feel silly. Anyone else have similar symptoms after putting an unfavorable supplement or medication in your stomach? How long did it take to recover?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

The exact same thing happened to me! Ive suffered with gastritis on and off over the years, taking omeprazole when its bad. I was put on iron tablets for the last few months but noticed my indigestion etc was starting up again. I reduced the iron tablets then stopped- the next night i had searing acidy pain top of stomach, under ribs and right through to my back- the worst ive had. Couldnt sleep for 3 nights. Doc put me on 40mg omeprazole and famotidine which really helped. He said iron tablets are well known for causing stomach issues. Wish id known!! 4 weeks later im improving but still off the coffee, chocolate and alcohol 😭 and eating smaller meals. Like you its worse when my tummys empty. Tried to reduce my omep last week but the symptoms got worse. Doc says it takes time to heal.How are you feeling?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I'm doing ok. I tried to add some supplements back in yesterday (minus the iron), and the pain started back again...so Im just gonna cut those out for now. I think the Vitamin C I took was too acidic. Live and learn.

Did your pain stay in your upper back or did it ever radiate to mid back? Occasionally, I get sharp little back pains in my mid back after I eat that last seconds at a time and then it gradually morphs into the upper back pain (mostly on my left but sometimes slightly to the right of my spine). and then up under my ribs on my whole left side both front and back. I assume the injury in my stomach must be closer to the posterior part of my stomach on the left to cause all this issue. So frustrating. Ugh...

I really appreciate you replying and checking up on me. It helps to not feel so alone in this! I was starting to wonder about this forum. It used to be such a great resource, but I can barely ever get anyone to respond when I post things any more. I haven't been on here in over a year, so maybe things have changed a bit.

• Edited

It makes sense the pain is on the left as that's where the stomach is. Yes, i get pain in the centre of my back too. Some days are better than others. Ive stopped decaff coffee too as i think it's too acidic. Peppermint tea seems to help.

Really hope you start to feel better soon. Doc has given me another month of omeprazole and if its no better she's referring me for an endoscopy. Joys! I think we are just going to have to be patient......🙄

• Posted

Hey, just thought id check up to see how your symptoms are doing?

I'm still suffering, night times mainly, and have been referred for ultrasound in February....... 🙄

• Posted

Still hanging in there. It has gotten a bit better, but I still get random sharp pains in my back and left side. Just got insurance again, so I'll be asking for an ultrasound next week. Honestly, I wish I could just get an abdominal MRI and get it over with! I'll ask for one, but I know how that's gonna go.

I'm sorry you're still suffering. Have you found anything that helps? Has the discomfort changed at all over the last few weeks? That's miserable! I hope you get some answers! Thank you for checking in. I really appreciate it!

• Posted

Ah let me know how you get on. In the Uk instead of insurance we have the NHS which is free but there are long waiting lists! So i have to wait 6 weeks for my ultrasound. Some days not so bad, just tender, then I'll have a couple of bad days with that burning, gnawing feeling going through to my back and a horrible taste in my mouth. Peppermint tea is the main thing that helps, and eating little and often. Ive just started Aloe Vera juice, so I'll see how that goes. How about you- any tips??

• Posted

Just make sue you be careful and watch what you put in your stomach from now on. Always follow your doctors advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.