Gastritis has been going on for the last 4 months

Posted , 20 users are following.

It's a very long story but I will keep it short:

Had stomach issues for 4 months but very mild

One day in September I felt very hungry one morning and the hunger transformed in nausea and crazy abdominal pain.

After a week of sleepless nights cause of the pain I got on PPIs but I took a h. bacter test beforehand and it came positive and I started treatment.

In november I had an endoscopy to make sure I'm helico bacter free and the test came back negative.

For the following month my stomach seemed to get better but in very small increments and with a lot of bad short periods (2-3 days) which seemed to come out of nowhere since I don't drink/smoke/eat forbidden foods and I'm very strict about this.

By mid december I felt very bad once again but it went away after one week.

I was off PPIs for a while and took another test early in january and it came back helicobacter negative.

But the symptoms are pretty much still there and they fluctuate a lot every single day. I could feel bad in the morning, great in the noon and sick by afternoon, I can't correlate it with any of my eating habits.

Also the symptoms change regularly, pain moves a little from the stern to the left higher side, nausea feels different, sometimes hyper-salivation,also sometimes I get pains after I eat, or before I eat, or just when I'm about to feel hungry etc..

Couple of days ago I felt very nauseas after using the restroom in the morning and I honestly can't figure out why...

I had a ultrasound a week ago and they told me all my organs look fine, nothing to worry about..

It's been almost 4 months since I felt alright, it truly takes a toll on your happiness and my academic performance.

I truly can't figure out what is wrong with me, I'm due an abdominal CT scan next week and I hope we can finally sort this thing out.

Has anyone experienced similar stuff?

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I've been having upper abdominal discomfort for over four months now which started randomly one night after dinner. I was put on PPI's which didn't help so stopped with the medications, felt okay for a week and then again, the discomfort came back. I've changed multiple doctors and ended up with a gastritis diagnosis (but did not have any endoscopy) and again, put on PPI's.

I've been belching a lot and have occasional heartburn though I think the reflux is due to the medications.

I feel fine for about a few minutes when I wake up and then the discomfort is back again and this happens everyday. I'm not sure what foods make it worse because I can have spicy food and be fine but have really bad burning after having yoghurt or fruits. I get bloated easily after anything I eat/drink.

Could this be dyspepsia? But I've read that dyspepsia is usually caused by an underlying cause. Also, I don't feel very full after my meals so I doubt that.

I've had an ultrasound which came back clear. No other health problems.

I'm really starting to lose hope over this.

Has anyone ever healed from this?

• Posted

I have a similar issue, that has been going for much more time. It all started in late February, with stomach pain, so much that I could not sleep any longer. I went to see a GP, and I was told that H. Pylori might be involved with the issue. I was prescribed PPI (omeprazole) and to do a stool test for H. Pylori presence, which came out positive. First try to kill it was unsuccessful, it was resistant to azitromicin+amoxicilin. An endoscopy showed chronic gastritis and H Pylori in the stomach. Luckily no neoplasm. Second attempt, with Pylera drug and PPI. After 6 months of taking Pylera, I still have symptoms, especially when sitting. If I sit I feel pain right below the stern, not unbearable, but it gets worse as long as I sit. It seems the stomach wall is being compressed in the inflamed area, and I start having some mild pain and lots of bloating. If I am walking or vertical all day long I feel fine, just like I do not have any problems, but as soon as I sit, it starts gradually getting worse.

I did another endoscopy recently, no H. Pylori was found this time, and only mild gastritis, but the symptoms have not improved since last endoscopy.

I do drink coffee (not alot), but do not smoke or drink alcohol. Also no spicy foods, and try to cut the grease as much as I can. I avoid all kind of sauces.

I wonder if it is normal for anyone with gastritis caused by H Pylori having a long time to fully recover from it.

• Edited

hi! I am so sorry you're dealing with this. I've actually been having the exact same symptoms since January 2021. I tested positive for h. pylori and went on Clarithomycin + amoxicillin. unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin after 6 days and had to come off of it. I went to see a GI doctor but he didn't put me back on the antibiotics. he actually just recommended over the counter Prevacid. This helped my symptoms for a few weeks but the stomach pain recently came back. I'm getting worried that it's been over four months now. I'm seeing my GI doctor next week and am going to ask for an ultra sound. An endoscopy sounds a bit invasive, but I may have to just get one. I also suffer from anxiety and find that my symptoms worsen when stressed. I've been doing better with keeping my stress levels down. Are you still experiencing pain? Any recommendations?

• Posted

Help!! I keep getting infection from gastritis & i was put in the hospital for a week on iv meds. i have been back to the ER 6 times. is there any dr anywhere who treats this?

• Posted

hi paulo... sounds like im going throught the same thing... got diagnosed with h pylori 3 months ago after so much acid reflux. Did the antibiotics for h pylori 2 months ago and was able to begin my normal life routine until about one month ago. I began to have soft stools followed by stomach pain again. ive been bed bound for one week and stopped eating and drinking fluids. my stomach spasms specially in the morning and i have palpitations all day. i have a strict diet and its still not working for me. under lots of stress ... its hard to control it due to my line of work. ive seen 4 doctors and ER visit and nothing so far... any help will be appreciated plss

• Posted

hi paulo... sounds like im going throught the same thing... got diagnosed with h pylori 3 months ago after so much acid reflux. Did the antibiotics for h pylori 2 months ago and was able to begin my normal life routine until about one month ago. I began to have soft stools followed by stomach pain again. ive been bed bound for one week and stopped eating and drinking fluids. my stomach spasms specially in the morning and i have palpitations all day. i have a strict diet and its still not working for me. under lots of stress ... its hard to control it due to my line of work. ive seen 4 doctors and ER visit and nothing so far... any help will be appreciated plss

• Edited

Thanks for sharing to all of you. I would love to hear from anyone on this topic.

Been having stomach/GI issues for over a month now.

Been to my GP 4-5x, and the ER once. All 3 bloodwork ups (CBC, CMP) came back in normal ranges though red blood cell counts, hemoglobin and hemocritin have been going down over the last month. I even had my lipase checked and while it's barely over the bottom threshold, it's still in normal range. My lipid panel indicated by my tryglyceridies that I was eating a healthy diet. I tested negative for H Pilori, standard stool test (cdiff, parasites, etc.) was also all negative, Celiacs also negative, but the GP put me on Pantoprazole (Protonix) as if I have GERD or Peptic Ulcer disease, though I must admit my symptoms if I have GERD are the "silent" type. I hardly ever noticed any classic burning sensations after eating, but I was always clearing my throat. Been on Protonix for oh , maybe 1-2 weeks now as a trial treatment. Meet with my GI doc again a week from today.

My problems seemed to start after I was taking NSAIDs for a back/hip issue I had been having. This plus my job I guess were causing me lots of stress. I wasn't taking the NSAIDs abusively either. Simply as recommended. Shortly thereafter I noticed my weight was down a bit. Maybe 149 lbs or so. Then about a week or two later (Christmas eve) I got nausea while talking with a friend on the phone. I hadn't eaten anything yet that morning. Then maybe 3-4 days after that it happened again in the morning, this time I had eaten a little bit of food and was drinking a smoothie. Then I had some fluctuating bowel movement irregularities. And NOW I feel like some small food particles (oats, seeds, chicken fragments) are staying in my throat before they fully go down after swallowing, but nothing that has caused me to choke or aspirate thankfully. I also getting stabbing pains in my upper left abdomen under my ribs after I eat and sometimes when I'm not expecting them. They last for 30 seconds or less.

I keep shedding weight which is causing me added stress as I'm pretty lean to begin with (5 ft. 8 in and normally - 150-155lbs.) I'm now down 10-15 lbs or so since December 2021, granted my calorie intake is much lower day-to-day. I am eating as clean as a whistle too right now. Low FODMAP and low acidity foods only. I mean I am researching this stuff religiously to ensure I don't upset my body's PH right now. I even taken Aloe Vera capsules between meals. I've also adjusted how I sleep to help with reflux Left side only and elevated on 3-4 pillows.

I keep thinking it's something worse than GERD or reflux which causes me to cry and again have more stress. I am ready to go forward with an endoscopy. I've even lobbied my GP to approve me for a CT scan that I'm willing to pay for out of pocket if I have to.

I cannot be active right now, other than walking a couple miles for fear of triggering the reflux. This is an extremely hard adjustment for me as I am usually lifting weights, skiing, running, or hiking a mountain.

No matter the outcome, (believe me - i'm scared) I'll do my best to update everyone here, but if anyone has any insights on their symptoms, test/lab results, how long their conditions took to heal, and how they're coming along, I'd be so so grateful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.