Gastritis is ruining my life nothing will stop it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old woman and i have had gastritis symptoms for 4 years. About 2 months ago I had an endoscopy confirming gastritis with bile but i have no H-pylori. I also have GERD which I got diagnosed with in 2017 and i have been on PPI's for it for just over 4 years but a few months ago they stopped working. When i developed gastritis symptoms the PPI's controlled them and helped a little. But now the medicine doesnt work much and the pain is more frequent. Following my recent endoscopy and the fact that all of the medications are not really effective, the gastroenterology doctor has offered me Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery. Due to me trying trying all of the PPI's over the years and even H2 blockers that don't really give me relief I have considered the operation. The operation however will not fix my gastritis and can make things worse. The symptoms I have with gastritis are sore stomach/burning stomach pain, nausea, loss of appetite and a lot of burping. Burping helps me relieve some of the pain that gastritis causes me but the doctor has said that i may not be able to burp again if i have the reflux surgery and i mightn't be able to vomit ever again so i am stuck in a dilemma. I have asked the doctor could my gastritis be fixed and he said no, he said that i will have to take gaviscon every day for the rest of my life for it. I have been on gaviscon advance every day for the last 3 months after i stopped the PPI's and it only gives me a small amount of relief which only lasts a matter of minutes so it isn't really helping. I have depression and anxiety which i have been having a lot of control over the last few years but now i am just starting to feel extremely depressed worse than before because gastritis is ruining my life. To live with this feels like no life at all. I am just miserable. I have tried all of the medication, an acid reflux friendly diet, no alcohol for a long time and I have reduced stress. When the doctor said there is nothing he could do for it i just went home and cried. I am grateful for help with my reflux but i don't think i can live a life with gastritis. Could somebody tell me if there is still hope and what I can do? Any help would be extremely appreciated. I just want to have a life

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

do you like the doctor that you have? Have you considered a second opinion? i’m really sorry you are going through this. I know what gastritis is like as I have had it. I know you are looking for answers and it must be very frustrating for you. I think if it were me I would definitely get another opinion unless you really absolutely like this doctor. I would do some research and find a top gastroenterologist who was highly recommended.

I know that when I got some counseling for the high level of stress I was under, the gastritis seemed to lighten up. Maybe think about some counseling? I sure do hope you are able to find some answers and get some relief. Take care❤

• Posted

Other healthcare workers and GP's have said that he is the best one. I need somebody to tell me that this can be fixed and that I'm not going to have this for the rest of my life. Every day it feels like i have a stomach bug the pain is so bad. I just need help. Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

PPIs definitely arent the solution to this. Check out the huge amount of evidence against them. GERD is caused by low stomach acid not high, when its not strong enough the sphincter relaxes allowing it up the oesophagus - painful. I take Digestive Enzyme supplements, just Betaine HCl with Pepsin at the moment but have tried others. Seem to help with my reflux. Only you will know whether this is helpful for your situation.

The surgery doesn't sound that helpful, its the only tool doctors throw at everything when they haven't thought outside the box and their basic medications don't work. "Stress" is more complicated than we can usually control ourselves. Hormone changes, pesticides and hormones, microplastics in water/environment, cosmetics, radiation. We don't know the impact of this yet and is hard to avoid. And often medications over the course of our lives can affect things.

I have a chronic illness and I understand how heartbreaking it is and frustrating. Sometimes EFT tapping can reduce pain, makes a change from popping a pill. Good luck

• Posted

hi, i am 27 year old female who is suffering gastritis really bad also , ive had it 4 years its got so much worse as years have gone on. no ppi works all make it worse. I'm miserable living on a bland diet and being in constant pain every day. I just take gaviscon advance every day now too. doesn't help much some days though. I'm fed up knowing I have to live with this every day too. how awful 😖 surly we need answers and some kind of help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.