Gastritis lead to Anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have gastritis and I’ve been very anxious lately. I wake up in the middle of the night panicky... it’s stressing me out and I don’t know what to do. I’m just wondering if I’m not alone??? Cause this  is scaring me.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You need to see a anxiety Dr. That's what I would do. Stressing about what. Do it right away don't wait. You will get worse . why prolong it. I had bad panic ATTACKS. HE. GAVE. Xanax. No more

Attacks.😍

• Posted

I am currently being worked up for an ongoing GI issue (started almost 2 mos ago) and I also am highly anxious.  You aren’t alone and it’s scaring me too.  More tests tomorrow and finally get in to see GI on Thursday.  It’s got me completely stressed out!
  • Posted

You're not alone. When my gastritis was at its worst, it would wake me up at night. My fingers would tingle, my heart would race, I would be sweating and feel very nauseous. I'm not naturally anxious, but with such intense stomach pain, I was afraid and my body naturally reacted this way. I can't speak for everyone, but with a diligent diet and following my doctor's suggestions, I've been able to overcome this. I still experience stomach pain, but it has improved tremendously.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with gastritis and I have the same thing stomach pain waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety, and sometimes during the day when my stomach starts to hurt bad, what recommendations did you doctor give? Mine did not say what I can do about the anxiety, I am trying to eat well and stay away from anything that will make it worse but I hardly eat because I don’t want the bad pain to come back. I am taking protonex in the morning, Zantac at night and Tums when needed, also how long does this last? 
  • Posted

Hi 

I contracted gastritis just over a month ago. It made me very ill and I couldn’t eat. This lead to anxiety which only worsened my symptoms. I lost a lot of weight and was in a constant state of fight or flight, my entire body was consumed by the anxiety symptoms as well as gastritis it was the worst time of my life. They say the stomach is like your second brain so it’s actually really common for tummy issues to cause anxiety. 

Eventually i was put on antidepressants for the anxiety and I was able to slowly get myself back on track with my eating. My gastritis is practically almost gone now, although my stomach is very sensitive still and I still am unable to eat certain foods. 

So just so you know, you are t on your own. If the anxiety gets to much, get yourself to the doctors. 

• Posted

Thanks.  Had CT scan this morning and will see GI Thursday, can you tell me what your diet is for the gastritis?
    • Posted

Also, got meds for anxiety, because I’m not functioning very well presently.
    • Posted

Well I practically didn’t eat anything during the worst stage. I was forcing myself to eat a banana a day, some days I’d have some chicken with boiled potatoes and veggies. But I really struggled for a long time. The anxiety caused me to loose my appetite completely and when I did eat sometimes I’d immediately throw up straight after. It was awful. 

Once I started the antidepressants my appetite slowly started to come back, so I just ate little but often, I was having porridge in the morning with a little honey and flaxseed. Lunch I was trying to have a price of fruit and a apple and again for dinner I’d just try and have chicken or fish with vegetables and potatoes. I avoided tomato, citrus Fruits, spices, milk, alcohol, caffeine, etc and I went gluten free for a while to allow my tummy to heal. 

I’m now eating pretty much everything I used to, although sometimes it does not agree with me, but it’s ok as I know gastritis can take a while to heal. 

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Sorry I meant I’d have a peice if fruit and a sandwich for lunch. 
    • Posted

Thanks, it helps a lot.  My CT  was normal outside of an ovarian cyst.  I finally get to see GI Thursday, so I’m looking forward to that.  Basically that’s what I’m doing is trying to make myself eat each day.  Only been on antidepressant for 3 days, but hoping it helps with the appetite soon.  Thanks again I really appreciate you sharing your experience!
  • Posted

HI what’s caused your gastritis? If it’s something you can cure with treatment  you’ll feel less anxious, meantime chamomile tea its excellent to calm down nerves just before bed and it’s anti inflammatory. If it’s something harder to control, I suggest an anti depressant. I have chronic bile gastritis and I’m taking an anti depressant to deal with pain and anxiety. It helps. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks, I’m not even sure what it is yet.  I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy 12/29 and am hoping for more firm answers.  I’ve been at this since 10/14, so I’m really tired of feeling s****y!  I appreciate your advice, thanks so much!
    • Posted

You’ll find out soon what’s the cause and get the right treatment until then try to eat well, avoid things that can aggravate and please try to be calm. Lots of chamomile tea 🍵. Hope you be feel better very soon x

• Posted

Thanks, the chamomile really does help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.