Gastritis? Or cancer?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted this in the cancer forum first, not sure where it belongs so I'll post it here too. Seriously, ANY help is really appreciated

So, I had this burning feeling in my stomach appear from out of nowhere and eventually decided to go see the doctor about it. I was told it's just an inflamed lining of the stomach (gastritis). I also have laryngopharyngeal reflux if that helps any. I've also started to burp a lot, which is supposedly a symptom of early stomach cancer. I was prescribed omerprazole (20mg twice a day) for 2 months. It dulled the pain and made it barely noticeable, but evidently didn't cure it. The doctor suggested I quit taking medication now and just wait for the endoscopy. I've had enough of not knowing what I'm dealing with here though. My doctor believes I have cancer-phobia and just dismisses me. I've also seen 2 other GP's for second opinions and they gave me the same answer and talked about how rare it is for someone my age without risk factors to develop it etc etc.(I'm 20.) I have an endoscopy booked for late august but that feels too far away. I went to see the doctor today but I feel no better about any of this. I literally can't cope anymore. I've considered going private and getting the endoscopy over and done with but it's really expensive to see a gastroenterologist. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated because I no longer know what to do. I don't even want to get out of bed anymore. Should i go private and just be in debt for a while or should I wait it out and hope it isn't anything serious? Also, if anybody has an actual statistic or something so I know exactly how rare this kind of cancer is for a 20 year old that would also be very helpful. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I just have nobody else to talk to about this. Nobody takes me seriously like at all. Thanks  [smile]

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've had the indegestion (burning feeling) for 4-5 months now.
  • Posted

Hey dont worry u got nothing i have stomach problem since last 4 years i had same feelings doc done endoscopy twice 1st time they found h.pylori(bacteria)it was treated but syptoms r there 2nd endoscopy they did if  gluten intolerance but i wasnt so they put me on lensoperazole,omeperazole, but no difference now im taking care of food i dont eat spicy food  i just accept it that my stomach is sensitive cant eat spicy food
  • Posted

Burping a lot can be simply stomach acid, no need to assume it's a sign of cancer. Only YOU can know if it is worth going private but cancer is rare for someone of 20 and stomach cancer happens more often with men than women.
  • Posted

Please don't worry, your doctors are right. the problem is that gastritis makes you feel really ill and it's difficult to believe you haven't got something serious; I have an form of gastritis which is chronic and I deal with it with diet. try a white meat/fish and vegetable diet (no onions!) cut out spices, dairy, grains and alcohol for a few weeks and I'm sure you'll see a difference. the anxiety will go too.
    • Posted

Kerry. The diet you are following sounds ideal for just about any illness and preventin of illness. So long as you have mostly vegetables and little protein.
    • Posted

I read cold milk was good for gastritis? Helps with the burning

• Posted

Hi I'm turning 25this year and I have the same symptoms .. Since Jul having some pain/discomfort feeling like its a fart then later turns out to be but takes forever to comedown. I was told I could have gastritis I have not been checked for it tho. Now I'm starting to feel a burning sensation not anything major this freaks me out I know this is an old add but if someone could reply Adam that will be great thanks
  • Posted

I went to the ER a week ago because I threw up afrer eating raw tuna accompanied by very spicy rice. For the past few years, around every 3-4 months I feel a great pain right in the middle of my chest that just feels like air trying to get out, so I make myself burp a couple times, take some tums and it goes away after like 5-10mins. The last time I went to the ER because it didn't go away but eventally did. The doctors checked blood, EKG, did an x-ray and literally everything was fine. They said that I have gastritis (which my grandma had as well) and put me on some anti acids and she said after I take these the pain shouldnt come back.

I don't know why but my anxiety is so triggered by this cause I've never had anything wrong with me. I workout 3-4 times a week, eat pretty healthy but not amazingly. I was looking up acute gastritis and even that pain in some cases lasted at least a day and mine only lasts like 10 minutes. I just ate a little spicy food and I feel fine with no pain. I think the throwing up triggered the pain in my stomach but can someone give me some assurance that I'm OK lol?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.