Gastritis Pain with Movement or Walking?

Posted , 34 users are following.

Has anyone experienced gastritis pain with movement like walking or brushing your teeth? My upper stomach hurts like stomach is swollen from inside, while walking. Stomach stiffens when brushing teeth etc.

This pain for 4 months have almost disabled me. It all started after taking an antibiotics course. Pain is so severe that it feels like someone is punching you in the upper stomach and it has radiated to back now aswell it hurts so much. I am still trying to figure out whether pain alone without acid or burning a sign of gastritis. Doc was too quick to say its gastritis and didnt explain me whether pain alone and so severe that it has almost disabled me to do any activity which requires some level of force, are gastritis related.

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello, I have very similar symptoms. I've been suffering for a year and a half. It started with a bad burning pain in my left side I would get from walking or just moving too much. Then it spread up through my ribs to the point I couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds without pain. I can't sleep on either side because any pressure on my lower ribs causes pain. I had an endoscopy done a month ago and they said my stomach was very red and mad and found a small hiatel hernia. (they took a biopsy and tested it for the bacteria but it was negative) I can feel the hiatel hernia moving when I move and i feel like pinching/tightness in my left side. I have been taking prevacid for 2 year now because I had bad acid reflux that was hurting my throat, but that went away after 2 months on the prevacid. After my endoscopy they told me to double my dosage of prevacid to try to heal my stomach. I am just wondering if this is my irritated stomach or hiatel hernia affecting my ribs and causing this pain.. No doctor has figured it out yet. I am so desperate for help and haven't found anyone with my same symptoms yet. My pain is not worse after eating.. its the moving that makes it worse or any pressure on my stomach/rib area. I have missed the last year and a half of my life because of this and i so badly want my life back. If you are suffering with anything like this you are not alone. Thanks for listening.

• Posted

I have the same exact diagnosis and symptoms. Not being able to sleep on sides, pressure from just walking and any little bit of pressure on my abdomen. Could you share an update on your story given how it might enlighten me throughout mine. Thanks

• Posted

hi there it seems like i have the exact thing u have i have been to the docs 10 times they have lost interest now. endioscope showed mild gastritis but the meds dont work as i think my hiatus hernia could be the main problem i see this is an old post but i have been suffering this for 16 months now and havent seen anyone else mention the pain we have is exactly the same. did u ever get to the bottom of this. thanks. stuart

• Posted

hello, i probably have a hiatus hernia, i m having a second endoscopy next month to verify this...i have pain under my left rib cage in my belly, i cant go for a walk because i get difficulty breathing and rapid heartbeat, nausea , and fainting feeling...i am on ppi but they dont help with this kind of pain and feeling...i read about the celiac artery disease it could produce such symptoms..any updates??

• Posted

same happens with me...5 months of hell after a gastro infection with antibiotics treatment. Had 2 endos and 1 colonscopy that showed acute gastritis with h pylory positive. Had the 3 antibiotic process and h pylory eradicated...but my bloating and dyspepsia still there and got worse when i walk...dont know what else to try...any advice?

• Posted

have you checked your celiac artery with CT angiography??any updates??

• Posted

I am currently going through this and it is exactly how you described. No one else believes me not even my doctor. It feels tight from doing the simplest things like walking, brushing my teeth, sitting for to long. Given how you went through this and it's been 2 years could you please share with me if things got better for you. It would lighten my situation a lot as you know because you've been through the same exact thing. Thanks.

• Edited

Im dealing with this for the second time. Its been two years since I dealt with it. Age 31. Now 33 and I thought I had everything under control with omeprozale. I started eating processed food and dairy a few months ago. I would get some gas but nothing bad. Then it happens all at once. I wake up and have a pain under my rib, then comes the burping all day. Its been about 2 weeks now. This time I dont want want to go to Dr. because covid. He's just going to tell me what I know. If i see blood in my stool i'll go to the ER. Otherwise, its just something that has to heal. Just to be clear I get all the symptoms mentioned above. Healing the stomach is the hard part because it cant protect itself from Acid while its inflammed. So here are my tips. Step up the Omeprozole, 1 hour before breakfast, 1 hour before dinner. Stay on the LowFodmap diet. Eat chicken and rice when in doubt. Take Metamucel and increase slow. Take probiotics to get your bloating down and digestion up. This whole process can take time to adjust too. Eventually the stomach will heal. Ive already got Barretts from this and im currently in the thick of it. Like before, it will heal. I promise myself ill never screw up my diet again if this pain and discomfort would just go away. Back pain, rib pain, gas, naseau, sharp pains, mucus poop, green poop, yellow poop, list goes on. Maybe when I heal, I can have pizza once a month or something but If I make a habit of it, Ill wind up in pain again.

• Edited

hi, i feel awful saying this but to read that others are in the same boat is somewhat of a relief!

Ive had a stomach pain since September, can be very mild and worsen throughout the day, started with a slight muscular pain, and after a beer or spicy food got worse and was accompanied by a burning sensation in the middle my upper abdomen. ive been on various ppi tablets since then (still taking esomeperazole) snd had many, many tests (bloods, breath for ulcer, ultrasound, endoscopy with biopsies). All came back ok, the endoscopy showed non erosive gastritis and polyps (which were tested and came back fine). The doctor suspects that i had a stomach ulcer back when it was worse, which has healed and left behind the gastritis. i still have a constant pain in my stomach (left side behind the bottom 2 ribs) which can go lower towards the belly button. it is much worse at night when on my side or front.

my question is how long does this take to heal!? ive cut out all alcohol, spicy, fatty food and as much sugar as i can deem possible. they have told me that it can take a while. it feels like something inside is being pulled apart, imagine the feeling of pulling some material apart, but inside. it can sometimes come on more when moving, or when sat down.

is this the same as yours? ive got an acid reflux diet book that follows strict meals that produce much less acid and is low fodmap as you mentioned, im not sure about starting that before having some food intolerence tests done? what would you suggest? how long did it take to heal? i have no acid reflux!?

sorry for all the questions!

• Posted

also, is it normal to have A LOT of gas, just after eating with gastritis?

• Edited

Hi HumanBeing,

I have exactly the same problem as you described. I feel pain in the stomach when I walk or even talk a little loud. In the morning after a long rest, I am feel no pain. I have taken anti H. Pylori medicine, PPI (Omeperazole, Rabeperazole, Ranitidine, Anti Acid...) for long time but no result. The problem has been since six months with me.

How do you feel now and what have you done that I also can follow that.

Regards

Mustafa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.