Gastritis/Reflux & Fermented foods (yogurt, kefir, kombucha, sauekraut)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

Alot of these fermented foods are highly acidic,  which is not good for  gastritis & acid reflux. On the other hand, these foods are rich in good bacteria to help repair my digestive system.

1)Are these foods net good or net bad for gastritis & reflux patients ?

2) How do I mitigate the acidity of these foods ?

3) Are there any studies showing these fermented foods cured(or at least improved) gastritis in any species(even lab rats)?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Studies have shown that probiotics can be beneficial to gastritis sufferers. They encourage mucous repair and also help to ward off bad bacteria - h pylori being one.

However like you say a lot of food probiotics are acidic or dairy based which isn't good for gastritis.

I take tablet forms of probiotics. They are much stronger (contain billions of multi strain) and don't irritate my stomach.

• Posted

I currently use probiotics & they have the pros without the cons as you mentioned. SInce my condition has not improved noticeably in the last couple years, I was hoping to aggressively ramp up my probiotic intake to hopefully completely heal this thing. My plan is to even use to the probiotic capsules to help ferment the yogurt & other foods. I would really like to benefit from all of these fermented foods, as they can pull double duty....my concern is, how do I neutralize the lactic acid in them.

• Posted

After 2 years you should be pretty much cured of Gastritis if your diet is right ? Have you been back for another endoscopy to see how your stomach looks ?

It took me about 9 months to heal. I still have to be mindful of what I eat but I get no symptoms anymore

• Posted

That's good news to know you've healed it, in such a short time.

I only got a full diagnosis 4 months ago. Doctors were sending me for the same blood test  & xrays which kept coming back negative, once those test came back negative they would say well, there is no reason to do further test come back in 3 months if it gets worse....3 months later, we'll repeat the same negative blood & xray test..& repeat..for 4 yrs it went undiagnosed. In any case, I was recently diagnosed with oesaphago-gastro-duedonitis & I'm hoping someone here will have a suggestion on how to cut the acid in my fermented foods

• Posted

Probiotics assist in gastritis health but they aren't the key to healing.

The key is strict healthy diet, and I mean strict. Is your diet strict ? And are you on medication ?

• Posted

No I'm not on medication. My diet is very strict during the week(salad, green smoothie, stir fry, fruit-veg snacks), but on weekends I eat one cheat meal. How strict was your diet? What medications did you take? Were there any negative long term or short term effects from the nexium, proton pumps & that sort of stuff ? I've been scared off from using drugs by naturophatic doctors on youtube, but if people like yourself arent seeing any long term side effects, that will be very encouraging. I just didnt want to take a pill to solve problem A, only to cause a greater problem B down the road.

Thanks

• Posted

In addition to my last msg, I take : aloe vera juice, licorice, slippery elm, curcumina tumeric, & ginger.

• Posted

Good questions and appreciate for bringing this to the forum. I suggest you google and there is a lot of information. Some is good and some is just commercial. However; after reading a few articles you should be able to determine between good and bad.

You can also google foods that make you digestive system alkline. This will create a balance in you digestive system.

I hope I was able to give you some thing to think about but It would be nice to hear from other mebers of the forum. Everyone's experience is different and sharing information allows us to learn from each other.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

Just make sure you drink plenty of water because Aloe Vera Juice cause electrolyte imbalance due to dehydration.
  • Posted

From my experience for the past 3 years anything acidic causes alot of discomfort for me. I too take the capsules dairy is a big no no. Everyone's system is different I guess for me dairy is not an option.

• Posted

The only thing to neutral the lactic acid in fermented food is drinking water and have calcium or magnesium tablet. I use daily yogurt and porbiotic and fermented food. I found it is helpful. It stops my diarhear due to Crohn disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.