Gastritis / Stomach Ulcer

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

i have been having pain in my lower left ribs for around 3 weeks, sometimes the pain spread to the epigastric area but most of the time it would be on the side. Yesterday I got some real bad pain just under the breastbone to the left in the stomach area (Epigastric area), the pain was a 7 out of 10 and made me feel really uncomfortable, later that night after food the pain came on again, again it was a 7 out of 10. The doctor said it was gastritis or a stomach ulcer but I'm still a little worried about pancreatitis although it's been 3 weeks and I've had 2 blood tests. Does these symptoms sound normal for Gastritis or an ulcer? I'd really like to speak to someone going through the same. I'm a little scared to eat now because of the pain, I think I'm going to try some toast to start off with.

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Misstake in my last reply, should have my glasses on, they said the pain could NOT be put down to what they saw!!!!
  • Posted

Last post has been sent to the mods for some reason james but should be up soon.
  • Posted

James, really dont under estimate​ the pain a little bit of gastritis can give, you'll be fine.  Try putting a cut finger in lemon juice or a better example woud be to put lemon juice on a mouth ulcer most of the day. Once you have the tests and now what it is you can work on getting well and you will.  Good luck James.  And try not to read blogs on your symptom​s as we've all been there and all it leads to is panic lol I've even seen loads of blogs on here that link it to enlarged liver even when blood tests and ultra sound tests are fine.  Theres alot going on in a small area, its a wonder how it all fits in lol. 
    • Posted

Ok I've been to the Doctor he has agreed to give me an Endoscopy but wants to try me out on some new pills first, he said if the pills have give no relief within 1 week then to come back and we will book the Endoscopy in. I'm now on 40mg of Esomeprazole one a day.
  • Posted

Hi James, well thats semi good news, lets hope the meds do the trick.  If you have to go back next week ensure he fast-tracks you or you could have a long wait.  I really fail to understand some docs, surly its best to find and treat or if they find nothing to move on to the next test???? I'm sure some wait until you go to A&E and get admitted.  If he went to the garage with his/her car and said its only going 20mph and the mechanic told him to put some different petrol in and come back in a week, they'd not be happy!!!!!!!!!!!  Pro active is far better than re-active, that what my docs say. Whichever you see they send you for tests, went on Friday untrasound Tuesday 9am, enscope within 7days and ct scan within 14days.  Why do they differ so much???????  Keep us informed.
    • Posted

Thanks Dave. I thought I was doing better today, only pain in the side of my left rib but none of the sharp intense pains is was getting before, then all of a sudden BOOM sharp pain during my evening meal.

Question - with Gastiritis Is it normal to get a real sharp pain in the middle/left of the abdomen after or during eating that starts off as a really sharp pain for a few seconds then decreases in pain over a duration of around an hour?

These sharp pains are quite worrying.

• Posted

I really cant say James, everyone seems to have simular but different pains (if that makes any sense at all).  I can still have pains on the left and right and one in the middle too which will double me up.  I can have a week of what seems to be a better time and then just like you, you've got it.  I find when my pain is really bad in the middle (always after eating) it can be easied by my wife rubbing/thumping hard on my back and me passing wind wind can give pain that is really bad believe me) then I have to lay down but with my head raised.  I'm lucky and semi retired and work from home.  If not my working life would be through, I could'nt hold down a job with this.  And remember they cant find anything apart from the HH???  I'm hoping someone else will reply too with their experiences​ to reasure you that 1000s of us have this.  In the past (over 20 years) I've had this come and go but also with pain in my back 24-7 and then had a few years of normal living and then it comes back for around 10-12months, no reason they can find but of cause there as to be.  Remember if acid as indeed caused you some damage it takes time, not the 4 weeks it tells you on the meds box.  I cant say its simply this or that James all I can do is tell you its more likey to be something simple (yes even with such pain) but dont expect a few weeks and your better.  I would push for the ES which if nothing else will put your mind at rest.  Oh, this time when it kicked off (about sept) the pain in the middle was really bad for 90% of the day, I started to think just the same as you, but after 6 weeks I could eat a few bits and the bad pain just comes for a hour or so now.  So please dont worry too much.  Please someone else reply and try and reasure James at this time.
  • Edited

Hi James, how you doing this week????? 
    • Edited

Not a lot of change really, I suppose the sharp pains in the front are less frequent than last week but all the other pains are still there especially the pain on the bottom left ribs, the sharp pains are still there every day but not as many times. My attitude towards it has changed for the better, I don't feel like breaking down all the time although I still worry on a daily basis thinking about all the possibilitys of what this could be and usually thinking of the worse case scenario which isn't great. I have a follow appointment on Friday with my GP so I can find out when my scans are booked for, I'm also going to get him to get me an ultrasound ASAP as I believe if I know the internal organs are all ok I think I will relax a bit. I've stuck to my diet & getting very creative with new recipes, I've refrained from any alcohol & found a couple of supplements that I'm giving a try, Mastic Gum & Liqorice DGL. In summary a better week than last but still a struggle. How are you, all ok?
  • Posted

Thats better, like i said before theres no silver bullet james and what works for one is useless for another.  I've upped my dose to 40mg which as made a massive change for the better.  I'm not happy doing it but will drop back to 20mg every third day and then every other day after 2 weeks.  I'm shocked how the Pantoprazole has worked so much better for me.  Alcohol, I'm 100% certain that as something to do with my flare ups.  I've not had any for three months now.  Do you remember me saying that on a few blogs on here a few people linked the pain to fatty livers????  The U/S would pick that up.  It would be intersting.  My pains to the side of the tum have calmed down and I can lay on my sides at night now.  Do your pains get worse when you lay on your side????  To be postive James I'd lay money on the fact that'll you'll be fully better by May.  I've read and been involve in so many threads on this topic.  Everyone has the tests and they all come back ok and slowly it just rights itself and then you have to slowly ween yourself off the meds.  Keep eating and drink lots.  Sounds daft but try apples too. Keep us all informed James.
  • Posted

Ok it's been a while so here's the update. Had a few more tests, Ultrasound, Stool sample To test for H Pylori and a few more blood tests, everything came back normal. I was referred to the Gastro who has booked me in for an Endoscopy under sedation on the 3rd of March. I'll let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Hi James, been thinking about you.  Hows the pain etc?  Now this is just me mate but dont go with the sedation. No need at all, I've had this done several times now and although its not nice, its not that bad.  Just breath nice and slow.  5 mins done, 5 mins in recovery and off home.  Plus, you can stop it at any point, you cant if your sedated.  You wont feel a thing in your tum but you will want to gag.  You also get to talk to the person doing it and can explain to them where to look, yes that helps them trust me.  You also get feedback right away.  Its starting to look like a HH mate???? If it was an ulcer it would have improved by now.  If the Endscopy comes back clear ask for a cat scan of the abdomen, this as risks but will put your mind at rest.  I did say that loads of people have this and many can find no cause!!!!  But, I'm still on the HH train!!!!! Good luck mate.
    • Posted

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. My appolagies for not getting back sooner I've been having a hectic few weeks. The pain a few weeks ago got better, a lot better actually, I think this was down to my diet, no beers, low/no fat, I've been doing his since it started so by body has had time to heal, I increased in fibre and generally ate small meals, my diet was really strict and the pain decreased but now because I was feeling a bit better I've been eating normal meals without being strict and now the pain has come back so I know diet can be a major factor. As you know my Endoscopy is on Thursday so we're find out what it is then, I have to go with sedation as I have a fear of anything in my mouth and don't think I could handle it and have a very very strong gag reflex, I'm quite scared of the procedure with sedation let alone without but I understand the advantages of not having the sedation as you have mentioned. Never really thought of HH before but I could be a possibility.
  • Posted

Hi James, I did say/hoped you'd be getting better by May, even if it was just gastritis it takes that long.  Why the meds say treatment should work in just one month I dont know??  Everyone seems to be on the meds for around 6-12 months and within about 4 months there seems to be an improvment. Once recovery does start it also seems again to speed up. Let hope then it was just that, I cant say after reading blog after blog after blog that I'm a true 'Believer​' that diat is the key although lots of people say it does indeed help (thats different to using common sense eating).   I am on the alcohol train though, remember your liver and other organs are all there also, I also though blocked pancreatic duct until most people including me had a cat scan that stated NO!!!  Only thing you can be sure of is no-one seems to know for certain.  But like I said months ago, you be OK by May if you keep taking the meds and then ween yourself off of them and see what occurs.  Good news indeed James.  Let us know how the 'worm in the tum goes' lol.
    • Posted

Well the Endoscopy didn't go to well, we tried a few times but couldn't get the tube down so had the abandon the procedure, the sedation did nothing. They told me to change my diet and come back in 4 months if no improvement and they would perform a Endoscopy under a general, I've requested we go the Endoscopy sooner rather than later and just waiting for an answer back from the hospital. So in summary were no nearer than finding out what's causing this pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.