Gastritis symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello not sure if I am posting in the right forum. I am female 70 have IBS Diverticular disease and gastritis diagnosed earlier this year. I also have widespread arthritis asthma and other problems. What I wanted to ask was what are the symptoms of gastritis. I have so many that I never know what is caused by what. I have bloating ache and soreness down sternum some belching but only rarely heartburn. I am taking ranitidine 300 I tablet at night. I get a lot of back pain with the bloating mid back upper pain and between shoulder blades everything is sore to the touch. I do have degeneration of neck and and spine so wonder if this part of it. Some times the back pain feels a like pressure especially when bloated. It had got a lot better after following a low fod map diet but recent stress and reintroducing foods I had avoided which is part of the diet process has seen a slight flare up. I was never told what I should or should not eat and the same with IBS and Diverticular disease. Left very much to figure it out yourself. Would love to hear from anyone suffering similar problems.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Your symptoms sound very much like what I go through a lot of the time, and I get bouts of gastritis. The soreness you feel is most likely the gastritis around the sternum and top of stomach. Pretty sure the bloating causes the back and between shoulder blade pains and pressure, I get a lot of bloating and these are the areas I feel the most discomfort, I also get random chest pains. You've got to think, your stomach is sore from the gastritis, plus it's being stretched by the bloating, which in turn causes more irritation. The bloating in the stomach also pushes upwards towards your sternum, chest and lungs area which adds more pressure to the upper part of your body. The reason the stomach pushes upwards is because there is more free space in your chest as your lungs and heart need space to expand and contract, you might possibly experience some shortness of breath as a result. The reason your stomach won't push downwards is because your bowel area is very dense and compact, so nowhere for bloating to expand. You could also be getting referred pain and symptoms, this is where a problem in one part of the body causes pain in a different, totally unrelated part of the body, plus bloating can push on your spine and other nerve endings, which in turn could be causing pain / discomfort.

Hope that helps and do take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I understand everything you are saying but with having knee and back pain from arthritis and neck pain which also affects the shoulders and head aches it is hard at times not always knowing which pain is which. I have had counselling for anxiety and have things under control but concerned it will start again.I think diet and relaxation are the way to go. Have you found out what causes your flare ups?As I have found out some otherwise healthy s cab be problem for some.
  • Posted

Most with IBS try to say away from sugar, carbs, fried foods and fatty foods. Try keeping a food journal of foods that cause a episode. Be mindful of what foods can start a episode and avoid carbonated drinks.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. I have never really been interested In carbonated drinks so that is not a problem for me. I only really drink water weak tea green decaf tea and peppermint tea plus odd glass of wine. I try to eat healthily but don't always keep to it.

• Posted

Hello,

I can relate to all of your symptoms. I  also have IBS, asthma, and diverticular disease but I’ve never really suffered from severe heartburn in my life nor indigestion but my gastritis started after having lots of antibiotics and Ibuprofen following a dental problem.  Like you, I had pain and throbbing of my sternum along with the back pain between the shoulder blades with aches in my left shoulder and heaviness in my left arm with chest pain.  I really thought I was having a heart attack to be honest because I felt shaky and really ill at the time but ECG’s and cardiac enzyme tests were normal. Eventually, I had an endoscopy which was positive for Helicobacter Pylori so had antibiotics. I’ve remained on Omeprazole and I’m careful with my diet and thank goodness I’m symptom free but I steer clear of ALL fizzy drinks and caffeine. 

If you can tolerate decaffeinated green tea with a dash of honey I swear it has healing powers, but of course I’d much prefer to be drinking a hot chocolate with squirty cream on top!! 

Good luck with your recovery back to feeling well again. It might take time but a really healthy eating plan can work wonders..................... that and plenty of water. 

Kind regards

Jane 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. You can obviously understand how all these conditions interact. I find that digestive problems make my asthma and perrenial rhinitus worse. I can and do sometimes drink green decaf but without honey. As I mentioned in my reply to hope4cure l don't drink fizzy drinks and have cut down on tea. I can't take omeprazole as they cause side effects so stick to ranitidine. My diagnosis of gastritis with no bleeding was in January this year following an endoscopy.Can I ask if there are any foods which cause you trouble including otherwise healthy ones.

• Posted

Hi again,

In between replying to your initial entry I see I’ve repeated things already covered.......sorry.

With reference to foods that do cause problems I’d say tomatoes and oranges seem to cause me indigestion and I try not to eat too much bread. Although I’ve started buying bread made with oats lately.

In the last year or so I’ve noticed that I get really wheezy and need my inhaler when I peel potatoes............ something I’ve never suffered from in the past. 

Most foods are fine and contrary to what one would imagine I’ve found red wine is OK too. 

Thanks

Kind regards

Jane 

• Posted

Hi again     Yes I was wondering about oranges and have just recently starting eating clementines and the little pots of mandarins in grape juice you can buy in the supermarket.  Tomatoes I am not sure about as yet.  They are both allowed on low fodmap though.  I agree with you on bread I generally ok with light coloured wholemeal bread from the supermarket as long as I don't eat too much.   I have started buying a small loaf for myself which means I can limit the amount. 

• Posted

All citrus fruit and juice is off limits for me, and raw tomatoes. Apples and pears I have to peel and poach, melon and banana are fine. Keeping a food diary and noting down symptoms has worked well for me. Not eating big meals, having small snacks and not going to bed until at least 3 hours after eating also helps. A bit different for everybody, but I have had to give up a few old favourites, but worth it to reduce discomfort. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.