Gastritis - taking supplements with prescribed medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a heart patient. I am on prescribed medication. I also have a  severe condition of gastritis... and take prescribed medication  Omeprazole (40 Mg) and also Ranitidine (300 Mg). I am pass my sixty fifth Birthday. The most pain I suffer is not from my heart but by acute " pressure on my esophagaus after a meal. I am very careful what  I eat and  conscious about eating moderately.  Having  tried various herbal supplements for my gastritis, and without any comfort to my condition, I began to take some of the supplements that has worked with patients  in this forum. They are DGL, PepzinGI and Mastic Gum. 

I  hope I am not overloading with medication trying to find a cure  for my medical condition.

I am generally fit . 154 Pounds 5ft six . 

Someone could please comment  if I am doing what is correct to cure my Gastritis problem.

Thanks 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Gastritis is caused by an irritant. Mine used to be drinking too much cider. Remove the irritant. Take your heart drugs with a meal. Eat little and often. Longterm acid reflux could cause Barretts esophagus which could be causing the pain. If it is this be careful as it is premalignant.

Have you heard of Manuka Honey, it could help soothe your stomach if you have Helicobactor Pylori (bacteria) in your stomach. It can be expensive try to get 15+ strength.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Walter. Thanks for the advice. About two years ago my personal doctor had me consult with a Gastroenterologist.   An endoscopy revealed that I have three ulcerations and hiatal hernia. Test were done for malignancy and found to be negative. He put me on Omeprazole. That was it; but with no avail to the pain that drives fear in me.  Thanks to the internet and the social media that spurts vast amount of material on this subject… I began to religiously follow a careful diet.    Six months ago another endoscopy found that my ulcers healed and the hiatal hernia shrunk. However, the pain and the pressure due to bloating my abdomen after a meal moderately eaten even without any hot spicy or fatty oils would not go away.       I have not taken Manuka Honey but I will. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Sunil,  I had a similar problem, I found that eating high carb meals made me feel so bloated which added to my problem.  My irritants were high fat food of any kind, spicy foods, and aidic foods.  I found Omeprazole didn't work too well, actually caused me to have the runs, eventually my doc changed me to Esomeprazole 40mg with Gaviscon as and when I needed it but not at the same time as each other as the Gaviscon can stop the other working.  This makes me wonder if taking the ranitidine at the same time as your Omeprazole is stopping it working so effiiently.  The honey that WalterMacDonald suggested I also use to great effect.  Hope someone gives you the answer to your problem.  Nothing more miserable than feeling out of sorts.
    • Posted

That may be a good idea maybe taking one in the morning and one at night. Acid reflux goes to work when lying down. 50% of A+E heart attack cases are acid reflux because or the pain. Only a doctor can answer your question on polypharmacy but I googled DGL and it is liqorice which is good for the stomach.

Be careful with overloading on alternative medicine especially if they are concentrated herbs/plants. That industry isn't properly regulated and you could end up wrecking your liver.

• Posted

Hi Chrisy, Thanks a million. May be I should stop eating rice too. I gave up on white bread some time ago.  Regarding high fatty foods, spicy foods and acidic foods I am clean but sometimes when I visit friends I get carried away… “A little bit.”

It is good that you mentioned about the effectiveness of Omeprazole. I   surely will discuss this with my doctor. The only thing  what I am afraid is writing a prescription is one thing but to give an overall medical advice  ‘ how to change ones  eating habits and your life style’ is another which I don’t get from my friendly physicians.    And Thanks to you!  I will derive some comfort hoping that all the advice I am getting from friends herein this blog will help me. I will earnestly set myself to learn from your experience.  

• Posted

Hello sunil1234...Do you eat what the body requires...I energy test my foods and all me aligments disappeared and no meds since 2005...My wife had a heart attack six years ago and has been eating what her body requires and today she isn't on anymore meds and her doctor said whatever you are doing don't stop...The first thing I found to disappear was the acid reflux/heart burn and the word hungry has left my vocabulary...I have been eating this way since 2005...I am 63 and my wife 64...To energy test you must have a neutral mind...There is a book out by a Dr.Peter J. D'Adamo, Eat Right 4 Your Type, which makes things easier for most people...Just have to know your own blood type...
    • Posted

Hi Murray,

Thanks for response. I had no knowledge about energy testing of  foods. I knew about the calories that has been assigned for various foods.  I will try to get a copy and read "EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE"

Thanks again!

Sunil

• Posted

What exactly is your "heart condition"?

And most important did the dr who prescribed the PPI and H2 blocker consult with your cardiologist?

Claudio

• Posted

I have three partially blocked arteries. thereby restricting the flow inand out of my heart during high demand such as high level of exercise, running etc.. I have colateral growth that has by passed the blockage. That is my heart condition in a nutshell.  Yes the cardiologist is aware my gastritis problem and has seen the the medication that was prescribed by the Gastroenterologist.
  • Posted

Sometimes  the reflux is improved when sleeping  with extra pillows to stop you lying flat - Hiatus hernias will cause this sort of pain described. Sipping hot water on its own or with a few drops of peppermint oil will soothe the lining of the stomach
    • Posted

Hi Suedm

Yes I use three to four pillows to keep my upper torso and head at an incline.I do take hot water during an attack only if I am at home. 

"Pepermint oil" is not too strong for a weak esophagus?

Please let me know.

Thanks

• Posted

only a few drops in a glass of warm water - not neat THAT would be unpleasant
  • Posted

I am suffering from similar symptoms.  Research shows that gastritis is usually a result of an overgrowth of bad bacteria.  When you take the ppis you lower your stomach acid so that the bad bacteria is not killed off.  Over years the bad bacteria grow stronger, even faster with the wrong diet.  

I found when I ate carbs the heartburn, burping, burning in my stomach got really bad, really fast.  When I changed to the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) the symptoms were almost gone.  This diet says to eat honey and fruit because they are absorbed immediately so they cannot feed the bad bacteria.  Stay away from all the starches - potatoes, bread, etc.  Meat and most vegetables are ok.  It's a pain to make the change, but the results are amazing.  

This does not mean you've taken care of the problem with the overgrowth.  And that is where I am stuck now.  I want to avoid taking the antibiotics I know kill the bacteria, based on research, because I'm afraid it will wreak havoc on my system one way or the other.  But I have become so severely malnourished I think I have no other choice.  I have tried the natural antimicrobials like Neem and Tulsi but am seeing little effect.  I saw no results from taking probiotics.  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I forgot to include the link to an article on how bacteria cause gastritis and ulcers and not stomach acid. http://www.hhmi.org/news/excessive-growth-bacteria-may-also-be-major-cause-stomach-ulcers

I think most doctors dont actually check if a person's stomach acid is high, they just assume it.  I was told to start on ppis but I knew it couldn't be the solution because when I took vinegar tablets the lump in my stomach eased up within minutes.  Then I started taking hydrochloric acid tablets (HCL) and I could handle meals much better.  So higher stomach acid gave me relief.  PPIs are bad news. They exacerbate the problem, not solve it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.