Gastritis? Ulcer? Anxiety? Itching!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. 36 year old male with a recurrence of symptoms which I first noticed around 9 months ago.

The catalyst seems to be an upset stomach. No diarrhea, just a gnawing pain (intermittent) which ranges in severity between 1 and 4/10.

On both occasions now, this has existed, on and off, for around 3 months. It hasnt gone away this time.

I eat normally, I am gaining weight, bowel movements are normal but have this gnawing pain which can be anywhere between the navel and under the ribcage and can sometimes radiate round.

The scope of symptoms has been the same, as has their progression, on both occasions. After the first round I have had countless blood tests and and ultrasound/CT scans and nothing has shown up. My GP suggests, from the most recent visit, that it might be a touch of acid. However, since then, the itching is back with a vengeance.

I am getting frustrated at recurring GP visits and as someone with a history of anxiety, I actively try not to go, in order to manage my health anxiety.

I guess my question(s) are as follows:

Have you suffered with abdominal pain/gnawing WITH itching?

Did you find out what it was?

Do you have any insight as to what it could be.

When the itching first started earlier this year, I had fears around liver and pancreas issues. However, the GPs and sonographers were quick to rule this out.

is this all stress?

Any input would be greatly received.

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Ive had a stabbing pain around same area for 9 mths now. it can flare up and cause me to collapse where pain is excruciating then it settles when it feels like it but its constant. My skin is itchy all the time especially around my tummy area.

I've had MRI scans even laparoscopy operation but they cant find anything. it feels like a golf ball with spikes on it sometimes but have had numerous bloods and other tests resulting in all normal. I'm quite literally fed up with the pain. I don't suffer anxiety but I still get the itchy skin you're talking about.

I still have no answers

I'm not particularly stressed just fed up so I really sympathize with you.

• Posted

Hi Sian. Yes, its a vicious cycle. I have countless tests which dont lead anywhere and result in the diagnosis of 'stress related'. As the issue has cleared itself up of its own accord once already, then I kind of hope the same will happen again.

• Posted

Itching can be caused by stress or a food intolerance. Perhaps try a food diary and distraction techniques such as exercise and a hobby to take your mind of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Pippa. Yes, I am going through a stressful spell at the minute and I hope it is that rather than something more sinister. I think I will have to go back to the GP in the New Year, though I just keep finding myself in this cycle of GP visits that I try not to as my anxieties have taken me there and back so many times before.

• Posted

If the itching cleared up before, it may well be stress or food.

• Posted

Did you go for endoscopy or breath test for bacterial infection?

• Posted

Hi Vish. I got tested for H Pylori twice but negative both times.

I havent had an endoscopy as yet.

• Posted

It may be worth mentioning an endoscopy to look at inside bowels and laparoscopy to look at external to GP there could be some possible small twisting that doesn't show up on scans or even very small fissure that can cause lots of problems that wouldn't show up in scans or bloods only problem is undergoing anaesthetic so they can have a really good look.

There are so many minor things that can cause major problems that unless extensive investigation is undertook you end up having to put up with it.

I remember years ago I kept complaining I couldn't walk my knee was agony. After 2 yrs of complaining and constant trips to GP and 7 MRI scans they finally spotted a small tear in the knee cartilage. Small thing caused massive problems. of course I had it repaired no problem since.

if your symptoms bother you...just keep bothering the GP they will get to the bottom of it however you do have to keep nagging them no matter how long it takes.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.