Gastritis - what to eat - part of a bland diet???

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, Early hours last Wednesday Morning I woke up with a sharp stabbing pain just above my belly button. I kept trying to go to sleep, but only nodding on and off the rest of the night. In the morning I tried to go to the toilet as I thought I was constipated as I couldnt go, and the previous day had quite abit of cheese (Mac n Cheese, Shephard Pie and cheese on toast). I ended up throwing up throughout the day, I couldnt keep anything down, so each time I was going to be sick it was becoming more painful as I had nothing in my stomach. The dr came out to see me, and he checked my stomach and said where the pain was, was tender, he said it was a stomach virus and gave me Lansoprazole. 1 to be taken twice a day.

Thursday, the pain had dulled a lot, and I was able to keep food down. I did throw up around 10 in the evening, I put this down to having an headache and standing up quickly.

Over the weekend I started eating more normal foods. From then till now, I have just had a dull ache, where the sharp pain was and on the lower right side of the stomach. I started to eat normal again, I had a big breakfast from Morrisons, and felt fine. On the Friday, I had a hot and spicy chicked breast and felt fine. I ahve also drank some cola and Lucozade and the pain has never gone back to the level of pain like on the wednesday.

Today I did go to the drs to see my main GP. She pressed my stomach for some time and said there is no lumps or bumps, I cant remember if she said if it was tender or not, I think she said it doesnt feel tender. She said it was gastritis, an inflammation of the stomach lining, and said about the tablets helping and to eat bland foods and stay away from greasy, spicy food. And if it continues or gets worse go back and see her.

A good/bad thing is, I am on holiday next week, so my mind will be occupied on what to do and enjoying myself. I also have anxiety and depression. Also I am incharge of cooking, so I get to pick what I want to eat.

I have looked online, and I just get confused on what to eat and what not to eat. 

So what can I actually eat? 

I have brought most of the items of food already and there is two of us;

The plan for dinners was

Chippy

tinned veg, gravy and something

Spag Bol

Pizza

Tagliatelle (white sauce and bacon)

Chicken Tikka Masala and  rice

Chippy

I am thinking now; [just for me]

Spaghetti or rice

the tinned veg

spaghetti (As the bolognese sauce contains tomatoes and Ive read that is bad for you)

Spaghetti or rice

The Tagliatelle (but either pick out the bacon or just have it grilled)

rice

Spaghetti or Rice 

is that ok?

The Spaghetti, Tagliatelle and the rice will just be boiled with nothing added to them

The tinned veg will be the same

For breakfast

White bread toast probably dry - otherwise it would be margarine 

One day I might have beans on toast and another Poached egg on toast

For dinner

I will have a Yakult and probably just a tuna sandwich. I will probably get activia yogurt as wel

Will that be ok?

Also, can anyone recommend anything else?

Also would it be ok to have a pint of ale ? As I am on holiday 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Think you need fresh fruit and veg and cut out the chips and ready meals. 
    • Posted

There isnt any ready meals. . . I am planning on doing them myself.
  • Posted

Tinned veg, Pizza, Tikka Masala, etc are these ready made sauces? If so they are full of additives. Maybe you are a great cook doing it all from scratch but think a bit of fish, chicken and fresh veg would be better. But who am I to preach.
  • Posted

Some porridge for breakfast better than white toast. Think you are having me on!
    • Posted

That is what was planned out

BUT

Then there is a list underneath on what i am going to have now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.