Gastritis without heartburn?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been dealing with abdominal pains daily for the past 2 weeks (upper middle), mostly during the night waking me from sleep but sometimes through the day too. It is a dull gnawing pain that sometimes goes through to my back, as if something is rubbing on my spine from the inside.

I have had an ultrasound and all looks ok with gallbladder and pancreas. Awaiting H.Pylori results but doc has suggested gastritis at the moment and although some of my symptoms match I don't get heartburn or indigestion. Has anyone else had gastritis but know heartburn?

Also worth mentioning when this all started I was constipated. It's causing me lots of anxiety as it often wakes me from my sleep, and now the past few nights I've been nauseous (and no longer constipated).

Anyone been through similar?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Stomach pain, nausea and constipation may also be IBS.
    • Posted

ive been told it's unusual to be woken from your sleep with IBS, and mine has been mostly waking me up. With random bouts during the day too. Not ruling it out though.

• Posted

When I first started with IBS, I was frequently woken from sleep by the pain so much so that my sleep pattern changed. My pain waxed and waned during the day.  I began with constipation then loose, urgent stools.  IBS symptoms vary from person to person. You can also get back pain.  I have had this too.  IBS symptoms can also change rapidly.  Perhaps ask your doctor about IBS.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the info, mine does travel to my back a lot and is severely messing with my sleep pattern.

Is there anything you take that helps during the attacks?

• Posted

If I have a bad flare up, Buscopan and Nurofen help me.  However, I am largely in remission now and don't take anything.  Stress is the trigger for me.  Part of your colon wraps round your back and this is why you can get pain there.

• Posted

I'm not sure if I was stressing before this flare up but I certainly have been sense, which if it is IBS sure isn't helping. Thanks again for your input, I'll take all on board.

• Posted

Usually the symptoms can make you anxious and the anxiety wosens the pain.  If you are still to be diagnosed and no one can help you and you are waiting for tests, results and find out that they are negative, this can also impact on symptoms.  My symptoms were worse for the first three months when I was desperate for diagnosis and couldn't get one.  Once I found out I had IBS, my health anxiety disappeared and my symptoms greatly reduced.

• Posted

Makes perfect sense. trying to juggle work, pain, lack of sleep and as you said, the lengthy wait for diagnosis certainly heightens anxiety, oh and the constant analysing of every twinge your body makes. Oh the joys.
    • Posted

For me I couldn't figure out why I had four different types of pain that changed position all the time.  Back pain made me think I had a kidney infection and my symptoms seemed to match according to Dr Google!  However, this was negative.  Google really did get me in a twist.

• Posted

Ah yes, it does seem like my symptoms are very similar to what yours was. Which is somewhat comforting at the moment. My pains and spasms change positions day to day, back, middle front, lower, side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.