Gastritis worries

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, after 2 months of nausea(still drinking alcohol even though I think that caused it) and one month abstinent I had an endoscopy discovering that I have mild gastritis, I am two weeks into ppis feeling sort of better maybe, I really started feeling better after I stopped drinking, In no way shape or form Intend to go back to my old ways of chugging bottles, but it'd be nice to go and party once and a while, I'm miserable because gf wants to go out and party. How long will it take until my gastritis is gone in general, and how long until I will be able to consume alcohol again, thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Give it at least 6 to 8 weeks on ppi. But remember once your stomach is sensitive it can come back.... your girlfriend needs to be supportive. Health is wealth. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Did you have pain or just nausea, I am in horrible pain after I eat
    • Posted

I had gastritis about 10 years ago. From drinking and partying and stress of losing a loved one. I was never nauseous. Had horrible pain under left rib, sometimes radiating to center and back. It took good 2.5 months to go on nexium. Then I didn't touch alcohol for 2 years at all. I'm currently going through pain again, but this time all tests are normal. Go figure.

• Posted

Hate to say it bud, but you're not going to be doing any drinking anytime soon.  Gastritis can take anywhere from 3-months to 6-months to heal, sometimes even longer depending on the severity of the gastritis.  Taking a PPI & stop drinking is a good start, but you will still need to clean up your diet, eliminating all junk food like fast food, soda, chocolate, etc.  It's more of a trial & error thing.  What might bother your gastritis might not bother someone else with gastritis. But the things I've listed above will almost always both anyone with gastritis.  

My advice, continue to take your PPI, clean up your diet, up the water intake, considering supplements like zinc carnosine and DGL which can help speed up the healing process and be patient. Even when you're healed, your stomach lining will be sensitive, so you'll still not be able to do any heavy drinking, but something light here & there, but eventually you should be able to go back to binge drinking if you choose to.  Just not anytime soon. Gastritis is just one of those slow healers, but it does heal. If you have any questions like other supplements, brands, etc, shoot me a PM.  

• Posted

I actually would like to dm you but I can't figure out how, however, I'd like to know your thoughts on some things. I'm jus about 4 weeks into the ppis been using them correctly but I still have the same nauseas feeling, still burping although not as much. My diet so far has been a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios (now recently without milk), honey and pats nature valley bars, bannanas, apples, as well as sometimes carrots, cantelope, peach( varying sometimes between days) peanut butter with some of them esp apples, roasted chicken sandwich from wawa with lettuce and only recently no cheese as I've read dairy can be not good, I'm planning on getting some non dairy ice cream as well, how does this sound, also what was your experience with gastritis, when were you able to drink again, are you able to drink normally now, and what are the best supplements 

• Posted

Diet looks good.  When do you take your PPI and what PPI are you taking?  It's recommended that you take your PPI first thing in morning, but for some people, taking it after food may be better. Not sure why, but I find taking my protonix works better after I eat breakfast rather than taking it right when I wake up.  I usually just eat a piece of toast, something small, and take it after. Now, it could be the PPI itself.  You may have to play with different PPI's to find which one works best for you with the least amount of side effects, since nausea is a side effect.  Nexium and prevacid didn't agree with me, but protonix and dexilant do. Now of course, I'm no doctor, so giving your doctor a call and speaking to his/her nurse about changing when you take your PPI or trying a different one could be in order.

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm supposed to go in soon anyways probably to see if I need to change ppis, also I don't think you saw the bottom of my questions haha but I'm a bit worried about the paid side effects long term though I know I need them 

• Posted

And I take them 30-60 min before breakfast what is says on the prescrip bottle haha
    • Posted

Yeah, mine says the same thing, but they seem to work better with food.  That's just in my case, might be different for you.  As for the long-term side effects from using a PPI, the "evidence" on that is pretty weak.  So many people take a PPI for years and years without problems.  My grandfather has been taking a PPI daily for about 20 years now.  No issues. But of course, everyone is different.  I think it's important that if you're going to be taking a PPI long-term, then you should consider taking a magnesium and calcium supplement. PPI's have a tendency to rob people of their magnesium and calcium. 

As for the other questions, I can't answer since I'm currently going through gastritis as well.  I was diagnosed a couple of months ago.  So I've spent the last two months figuring out what my triggers are, testing out supplements, researching, etc. Just passing along the info and knowledge I picked up in doing so.  Honestly, a good PPI and a bland diet is the best route to go.  Most supplements I tried either didn't do anything or irritated my stomach.  Now, I've found all my triggers, taking my PPI along with a low acid diet and vitamin supplements, so I'm hoping I'm now on the road to recovery with no more road blocks.  

• Posted

Also, when trying to drink liquids it gives me a feeling like its pooling, and then the burps come, not so much when I eat though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.