gastritus following reflux surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. 10 weeks ago I underwent reflux surgery and hiatus hernia repair. I am still having symptoms of lpr silent reflux. So I underwent a endoscopy this week and was told I have atrophic gastritis. I am now suffering from stomach back and arm pain. I recently noticed a lot of blood in my stools. I am quite baffled as I have read that this type of gastritis takes years to develops yet I was scoped at the time of my operation and was told everything was normal. Does anyone out there know anything about this type of gastritis. thanks Laura

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I thought atrophic gastritis was usually caused by H-Pylori which I'd have thought you'd have been tested for earlier?

• Posted

Yes I agree, a simple test.

Blood in your stools, and reflux?

I think you need to push your gp! Don't be fobbed off, demand further tests.

Blood in your stools is a flag for a referal that the NHS don't allow unless you have a red flag.

Book an appointment Monday and tell them about your pains. Let us know how you get on.

I don't know if your surgery or the diagnosis causes your current symptoms, but I know they shouldn't be ignored. Chrissy

• Posted

hello no I do not know I wish I did. I have hiatus hernia, gastritis, esophagitis, had pancreatitis, acid reflux and had gallbladder out last April which is when pain all got worse. I had an endoscopy. I have slow colonic bowel transit, which is worse now. I have achalasia bad motility of esophagus. My whole digestive tract seems to be packing up and chronic pain. I said it was my hernia causing this for a long time. I wanted a fundoplication hernia op and GI said no, cos I could end up not being able to swallow.  I have stomach, back (middle) and left arm shoulder pain, and lower back.  Awaiting a ct scan and hopefully found another GI who wants to then do an ERCP.  Afer my stomach surgery as I call it, to remove gallbladder, I believe something went wrong, as then I was told I had rapid emptying too of stomach and no help except how to eat.  If you continue you must go back as they scoped you before you say.  I hope it will settle for you.  Like me, after my op, things got worse.  I have had PPIs for my gastritis but none help. If you have not tried them think about asking for some but only for a short while.  Stomach surgery can upset and bring on a whole load of trouble if they mess up etc. I wonder for me if they did something wrong.  I do wish you the best and am sorry this is all I can say re my symptoms.  Not much help I know.  The blood could be body adjusting after op but 10 weeks to me after is not right?? Do not be put off pain and blood is not right nearly 3 months after an op.
    • Posted

Oh dear I'm so sorry your going through all this. After surgery you expect a few grumbles but after recovery time you expect your life back not worsening!!

Don't get fobbed off, all the best bud.

• Posted

Thankyou to all. I have been to the doctors. He said that the atrophic gastritis is not a worry. But blood in stools is. So he examined me there and then and said I was not bleeding at the time and has referred me. He is also testing me for b12 and pernicious anemia. I had h pylori 3 years ago and had the eradication therapy which got rid of it. Laura

laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.