Gastro-Instestinal-Stromal-Tumor = G.I.S.T. Bowel Cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Respectfully G.I.S.Ts are a very rare and complicated type of Bowel Cancer, I had my tumor removed in March 2014 and am on a 3 year programme of Chemotherapy. I take a 400mg tablet called Glevec (Imanatib) everyday and I have been given a 16% chance of survival once my Chemotherapy programme completes in July next year. My side effects are many for example, cramps, night time sweats, dizznyness, Diarrhoea etc. I am being treated at the Christie Hospital in Manchester on a 6 weekly visit with my Oncologist. I am not angry or a 'why me' type of patient and just wondered if any of you have the same type of Cancer? I have an excellent family and friends who are there for me when I need them which is a very comforting blanket for me, I know that other cancer patients out there may not be as lucky. I wanted to touch base and have the occaisional chat.

Thank you to any and all who take the time to reply

Kind Regards

Michael

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm not as serious as you (3B, one node). But still, I'm faced with horrible nausea and nightmares and dizziness from chemo. It was too weird to take on at first (I'm 49). I don't smoke or drink. I exercise and am not overweight. *shrugs* What can you do. Maybe I'll survive this, maybe I won't. Either way, death comes to us sooner or later. I try to be philosophical, and am doing a good job of it. The disease has focused my mind. I enjoy sensations when I am well enough to enjoy them. People forget the temporary and fragile nature of life. I don't have much support. I have not been able to tell my mother as I have to protect her from it and I downplay the seriousness of the condition to my wife for the same reason. *shrug* I'm okay with it. It must be harder for you. I wish you strength and well-being.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I was diagnosed with a rectal GIST 1 1/2 years ago,it was only partially resected due to a misdiagnosis and its large size.I have KIT exxon 11 mutation and a mitotic rate of 20 to 50 which makes me high risk even though there were no metastasis found.1 1/2 years ago I started with 400mg of daily Gleevec.Side effects were bad at first but with adjusting types od foods and playing with my emotions to help my depression,I now feel a lot better.3 month after taking the Gleevec I was in remission.I am still in remission.I see my doctor every 6 month and I get a CAT scan every year,just a pelvic scan with contrast.My first scan was pelvic abdomen and chest.I don't know my future,sometimes I thought the doctor had little hope for me,because of the limited followups.But I am still here and I feel better than ever.That goes to show you that noone really knows what will happen tomorrow.I am now enjoying myself again with my little Poodle and my artwork and I am beginning to be able to feel greatful that I am going well.I am quite alone in all this which has made me a little stronger over time.Here in the US you dont get too much support at all.But I also have wondered if there would be someone with this cancer.I only know myself with it.I joined life raft which is a wonderful GIST site.There I joined the patients registry and donated the tissue for their research,because they really need people to donate.The lady there was so helpful and walked me through all the filling out forms and signatures.They accept and appreciate those tissue donations from all over the world.I hope I can be of help and support to you.I wish you the very best.By the way,I have to be on Gleevec for life.I hope it will be a long one.I pray  each day.Never did before so you are in my prayers too.So I will pray for the both of us.

I am ready for the snow storm.I live in New Jersey in the USA

Greetings from Manuela and Roxie the poodle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.