Gastroenteritis - Picked up bug - watery poos since last Friday

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was at glastonbury music festival..... (not the best place)

For the last 5 days, I've had watery poos (like real water). Longest I've been without going is 2-3 hours, usually much less. Got stomach cramps too.

No vomiting but feel very nauseous. Hardly eaten anything for days. Whenever I do try to eat or drink it seems to bring on an "attack" of stomach pain and diarrhea.

I thought 2-3 days things like norovirus would be gone. Never expected it to last this long. Any ideas?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try bland foods and avoid fruit and fruit juices; drink plenty of water. Try Imodium. If no better after one week see your doctor. Gastroenteritis is very common and will clear up. All you can really do is wait it out. Do not worry!

• Posted

Thanks. Imodium seems to have ZERO effect 😦

I've got a sponsored walk up a mountain planned for Saturday. 5-6 hours with no access to toilet. Its not looking good!

• Posted

Have you persevered with the Imodium? How often have you taken it? You need to keep taking it after every meal or loose bowel movement. Taking only one dose, is not likely to be enough if you have only had this amount. Imodium usually works; it is very strange that it has had no effect. I would keep taking the Imodium and you still find it ineffective, ask your doctor for something stronger. Imodium always works very quickly for me.

I had a three day IBS D attack and Imodium calmed it down after one dose. Obviously, I kept taking it until I stopped having diarrhoea.

• Posted

Poor you - I've had gastroenteritis and it took a good week to clear up. I spotted you were in the UK, where the advice is NOT to go to the GP as you can pass it on. Instead I suggest you ask for an emergency phone consult, explaining you want to be OK by Saturday. You'll probably be told to rest and drink lots of water, to avoid dehydration. You might be prescribed a stronger "stopper" as well. Depending where your walk is, the forecast for the UK below Manchester is warm, dry and sunny on Saturday, so you need to take that into account as well. Good luck.

• Posted

You may have caught the stomach flu. A CT scan will confirm. A prescription for anti-biotics should cure in about 2 weeks.

• Posted

Alas, I'm in the UK so I'm not going to be able to get a CT scan for this 😦

I don't expect I will be able to get anti-biotics either.

• Posted

There must be something similar worldwide in a civilized country. Just inquire.

• Posted

You don't need a CT scan to diagnose gastric flu; you know when you have it. I have had gastric flu before and have never needed any scans or antibiotics, neither have I gone to the doctor. It got better on its own. You only need a doctor if the bug doesn't clear up. Antibiotics are only effective if the bug is bacterial. If it is a virus, antibiotics won't work.

• Posted

Stool sample has been provided to GP now who says what pippa said.

Just wish there was something to stop the diarrhoea completely even temporarily. Im supposed to do a 5 hour walk for charity on saturday and really dont want to bail out.

• Posted

Of course, CT scans are available. BUT its the NHS and they only allow the resources to be used in cost effective way.

If the guidelines say no CT for this then you ain't getting one. I'd imagine they do.

Even if they did allow, chances are the wait list is many weeks....

• Posted

The stool sample should tell the doctor what infection you have. Imodium should be working; maybe up the dose you are taking or ask your doctor for something stronger. Rice or bananas can help bind you up. Perhaps try that.

• Posted

Loperamide anti-diarrhea pills will stop diarrhea for at least 24 hours without a prescription but don't know if it's available in the U.K. Ask for it

• Posted

yes loperamide is widely available. Not been working to be honest....

• Posted

If nothing is working for you then you have to consider canceling your Saturday activities for your own health and see a good gastroenterologist.

• Posted

Good news is that is improvement last 24 hours. The Loperamide does seem to be working now which is good news. Bowel movements not as frequent and I'm able to eat a little.

I did go and see my GP yesterday as I said. In all honesty, I'm not going to be able to get referral to gastroenterologist unless it doesnt sort itself out in weeks and even then the wait list is going to be long. (NHS in the UK again).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.