Gastroenteritis then massive IBS flare up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. On the 4th June 16 I contracted Gastroenteritis which I got ride of, I've suffered with IBS since May 15 and the doctor has prescribed me Mebrivne and Spazmanol I know I should be taking the pills preferably the Spazmanol but I'm scared of what will happen.

Since Saturday 25th June I've had diaherria always in the morning then I kind of feel ok. I take parcetmol to kill the slight pain that I think is in my stomach and that does help but I'm back to square on the next day.

Is Spazmanol good? Brown or white bread?

I see the idea of Peppermint tea that can work, I'm drinking bottled water to push fluids.

I cant really touch diary at the moment a simple splash on a bowel of cornflakes is enough. Dont like the idea of Imdouim either.

Any advice welcome..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I  don't know anything about Spasmonal because I take Buscopan which is mild and works.  I tried Mebeverine but it upset my stomach.  Mebeverine is known to cause some people trouble.  However, everyone is different.  I would try these drugs and if they cause irritation.  If they do, don't worry. Ask your doctor for something else. I don't have food triggers so I don't know whether white or brown bread would suit you.  It depends if they cause any reactions.  Try both and see what happens.  However, white bread is more processed which can be a problem with IBS.

• Posted

Hi Mark

A similar thing exacerbated my IBS, which although I have lived with for years, got worst recently after a bad stomach bug.

The constant bowel movements and pain and discomfort got too much, so I consulted my GP who recommended the low-fodmap diet and also the Mebeverine tablets for the pain. I have cut out milk, but substituted it for lactose free alternative and also avoid yoghurt unless it is soya based. I have gluten free bread and avoid cakes and biscuits. Also best to avoid lentils, chick peas and pulses, as they aggravate the problem. But you still need to ensure you ate getting the right nutrients from what you eat, as it could obviously affect your health in other ways.

I hope you find something that helps soon.

• Posted

Hi Chuckj,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My IBS was totally under control till I contracted the bug now its all over the place.

I'm going to look into this Fodmap diet that I read on here, my GP diet is key and I think he is right.

Latcose free milk that you drink in tea and can mix with ceral?

• Posted

Yes, I have tried the milk in tea and it is fine. Although I don't drink a lot if tea and I don't touch coffee as it started to give me headaches. I should think the alternative would be Ok with cereal. In fact I enjoy drinking it straight. The one I buy is called Arla lactofree semi skimmed dairy drink.

I have to say with these changes to my diet my IBS has cleared up, which is such a relief. Let me know if you have the same success.

• Posted

I've got the one you mentioned in the milk.

Thanks I will do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.