Gastroesophageal reflux disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been suffering from this awful thing for over a week and its has gradually got worse. have been up during the night in tremendous pain. havent eaten properly in days and i am scared to eat now. Doctor has prescribed omeprazole which i have been taking for 3 days. i dont feel any benefit and wondered if any one can tell me when and if this medication will start to work. I am in agony most of the day and most of the night. sleep deprivation and pain is now ruining my life.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Pain.. What's it like ??? What are you taking for it ??? Is this 20 mg of Omeprazole ??? If you want something to eat that slips down nice and easy then a drink called Nutrament is quite tasty smile
  • Posted

its like a heart attack, has me in tears. 20mg omeprazole twice a day, where can i get nutrament

• Posted

You must have a Stomach Ulcer or something neutral Well at this time of night you could try and get Nutrament at the local 24 hour petrol station or a 24 hour Tesco or Asda etc smile Really if you are feeling really really terrible then you should pop off to A&E sad
  • Posted

i have ordered some from amazon. at the moment i am sitting on the settee really ready for bed but really dont want to because it will wake me up in the middle of the night in agony, how long does this omeprazole take to work.
  • Posted

Omeprazole will should turn off your Stomach acid within hours but if you've got a big sore down in your Stomach that's hurting and stinging a lot then you won't notice much of a difference,, your only option is to take some Paracetamol every 4 hours (soluble ones work faster), don't take Ibuprofen neutral
  • Posted

If it is a raging Stomach thing then to be honest Paracetamol are crap, you'll be lucky if they take the pain away for a hour :D :[ Sorry :[
  • Posted

hi,i used to get acid reflux when i was drinking alot,in excess,cut out booze and any spicey food for a while.it is painfull and i had to give up drinking altogether.i used to get the best liqiud gaviscon and drink that just before bed just to get some sleep.does sound like you have an ulcer or excess acid build up from your diet.
  • Posted

well it feels like an ulcer, i have again been up all night, eventually as the night turns into morning i got a few hours. now i am up it is still coming every now and again. it sounds like i have no choice than to go back to docs. let you all know how i get on

• Posted

ok,good luck,mine took a while to get rid of and is it just a burning in the middle of your chest or is it reaching your mouth like a bit of burning sick?.like i say just cut out alcohol and spicey food for a week.
  • Posted

Last time I had a big one in there I cried like a baby and I'm not a wimp biggrin
  • Posted

Hi just , reading theosts and have exactly the same and have tested positive for helicobacter pylori , just completed triple therapy antibiotics,I definitely feel like I have an ulcer , go back to your doctor , ask for a stool test , you have to be off omeprazole for two weeks or the result could be false , you may have this infection

Which could be causing the chronic pain , you need antibiotics to clear it , and an endoscopy to confirm nothing else is going on in your stomach ? ,stay of coffee tea ,and anything acidic , eat small regular meals

Hope this helps ,mood luck ,mdont stand for any truck from your gp

Helen

• Posted

hi helen. have had the weekend from hell. took myself to a &e last night. was in so much pain. the doctor there says to get tested for helicobactor but i dont know if i could stay off medication for that long . i am swallowing peptac like it is going out of fashion . last night i was so tired i had been up from 05.30 in the morning , i slept all night. what a relief. they told me to take ranitidine so off i went to 24hr tesco. so i am now taking it as well,at least i know my heart is okay, although they did say i could stay in and see a consultant today. but there is no way i was staying in that helll hole. i have had a good day today although i have had twinges and have finished a bottle of gaviscon and a packet of rennies. i will have finished the peptac before the night is out. dont know if i will get much sleep tonight.
    • Posted

Hiya did you ever get a diagnosis? I'm suffering myself with this so am curious?
  • Posted

Too bad the Doctor never gave you the Antibiotics anyway, you could be on your way to getting better about now frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.