Gastrogavin!!!!

Posted , 1 user is following.

There was me thinking gastrogavin taken for my CT colonoscopy tomorrow would be less aggressive than picolax. I had to take 50mls at 7pm last night, didn't think it was working then at 10pm it started, and I went and went and went. Not had much sleep at all and when I got up this morning I went and went and went again. Supposed to take next 50mls at 7pm tonight for my CT tomorrow at 9.15am but think I'll take it earlier. It's bad enough having to do this prep again in less than two weeks since my first colonoscopy. I'm not having another sleepless night! Can't be anything left in me now surely haha.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry - that was unexpected - I know of at least 2 people plus me who thought the stuff hadn't worked at all.  Just goes to remind me that we are all different and some bowels are more active than others.  Good idea to take it a bit early (I did, as did others, just to get some sleep), as you'll be on clear fluids, and as you say, not much more to come out.  But by this time tomorrow it will all be over.

• Posted

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll just concentrate on the cheese roll and cup of tea I'll have afterwards.

• Posted

My experience of CT Colonoscopy! Cannula goes in arm, stick some muscle relaxant in it. After put gown on go into CT scanner, stick scope up bottom, but balloon inside you, start pumping air in. Radiographer says don't forget you must keep your buttocks clenched! What the xxxx! What for 25 minutes? Supposed to take four scans, both sides, back and front. Ended up just taking back and front neither very good apparently cause air kept leaking. Tell me how are you supposed to keep your buttocks clenched, hold your breath and deal with gas and cramping all at the same time. I'm disappointed, really fed up, keep going dizzy and extremely tired. No idea what the GI Doctor will do now, nor when I'll hear anything. Quite frankly having two bloody preps and two horrible procedures in a fortnight I'm past caring! Off to get some sleep as I was still on loo at 2am, Sue

• Posted

Sounds like a really poor crew.  They clearly didn't use the same equipment on you as they did on me.  They made a point of saying not to worry about the air because the valve took care of it.  In fact when they took the valve out it was like a balloon deflating afterwards.  I didn't have a muscle relaxant - sounds like yours relaxed your bottom too much!  No talk of buttock clenching.  I had no side effects - no dizziness, no cramping, just felt bloated.  I'm really disappointed for you.  So where was this done?  Mine was the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.  Did you enjoy the roll and tea afterwards though?

• Posted

The hospital you go to is where my cousin goes and when she had a colonoscopy she was out for the count with the sedation. Obviously a far better hospital than mine, which is Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent! She kept saying keep your buttocks clenched or the air will keep coming out. I'd like to see a doctor keep his or her buttocks clenched for 25 minutes, impossible. God knows why I was dizzy coming home. So now I'm not sure what they'll do, but gone past caring. I know I have severe diverticulosis so that'll have to do if they can't read the scans properly. I'm done having anymore air pumped into my bowel or those damn preps. You would think with all the technology nowadays there is some other way. What about this pill you take whilst wearing this thing on your wrist. You swallow it and it beams back pictures of your digestive system. You hand the wrist thingy in 3 days later and they can see all your innards easily, with absolutely no discomfort to the patient. Probably costs too much! Yes the tea and cheese roll was heaven, and I'm looking forward to a lovely sleep tonight without rushing to the loo, Sue

• Posted

Oh that must be awful Susan! I was told when I took gastro stuff for mine that its needed as it coats the bowel so it helps them see when they do it. I have very bad constipation and mine didn't work so I was worried and asked the xray Lady. Hope it goes OK. Just look to the future and try and stay positive.

• Posted

I was one of the unlucky ones who had a traumatic colonoscopy. Neither the pain relief or sedative worked at all on me. I remember everything and the pain was off the scale, so although I've been given reassurance it's not too bad, I'm banking on the worst and hope I'm pleasantly surprised! Funny thing is I've always wandered into any test or operation with no worries, but since the colonoscopy has traumatised me so much I'm expecting the same amount of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.