Gastrogrsfen enema..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Heard from surgeon today. He's scheduing me for gastrogrsfen enema. He wants to make sure there isn't anything like narrowing that's giving me flare ups..don't just rush in to surgery before checking all avenues...very thorough surgeon. I like that he's this way. Anybody had one done? What do they do?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Kathy, your post is very interesting I have not heard of this procedure and would like to know more about it. x
  • Posted

Hello Kathy

Just Googled this operation,it's where they put a

Coloured fluid into to the Bowel/ Colon to check what's going on in there after a X Eay

I suggest u do the same and it will show u more

Kieran

• Posted

Just googled..yeah it's an x ray with up up your butt to give my surgeon a better picture of the colon. I'm sure it's uncomfortable. Ha ha

• Posted

I did. Mine was a barium enema. Not fun but not painful. You have to hold the barium in while they take photos. It's not easy but you can do it. Good luck!🙏

• Posted

Hi Kathy

Gastrographen is what I had last October.  It is an aniseed flavoured liquid which acts as a laxative and clears the system out.  I had to take 100ml twice 12 hours apart and it did the job.  I found it much less violent than Moviprep and Picalax and much easier to take.  It also contains something which makes the insides show up better under X-Ray.  I actually had a CT Scan this time when they pump you full of air and get you to hold it in, but 16 years ago, I was pumped with the barium fluid and X-Rayed. 

They get you to lie on one side as they pump in the liquid.  It is a bit uncomfortable - a bit like holding it in when you need the loo urgently, or dull period pain.  Last time they put something on the end to stop everything coming out involuntarily.  For the CT Scan they injected the contrast dye, but it sounds like the dye for the enema will be in the liquid they pump in.  One less needle!!!  The whole thing only took a few minutes - much quicker than a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy and far less uncomfortable.  I advise you to take an incontinence pad with you, as you'll leak liquid for some time afterwards, and when passing wind.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Good suggestion. It leaks for a bit after. Getting to finally expell it is a challenge. Your explanation was perfect!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.