Gastroparesis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have gastroparesis which meant that I had to become a vegetarian seven years ago as a result of SS. I am now struggling to digest legumes and anything that requires effort. I have to liquidise most of my food both from the very dry mouth perspective and also to aid digestion. How do you cope with the paleo diet if your digestive system has gone wrong?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi maggie98748,

So sorry you are going through this. Can you tell me what gastroparesis is? I can't seem to eat anything. My test results are not in yet. It almost sounds like the way I feel.

• Posted

Hello. Gastroparesis means the stomach works very very slowly and really struggles to digest food. You can feel it sitting in your stomach going nowhere for hours. I have helped myself somewhat by liquidising as much as possible and I never eat after 5pm or I cannot sleep. It is just yuck!
    • Posted

I certainly get bloating but because I only eat very small liquid meals I don't get heartburn or chest pain. I avoid all fried food too, very, very boring indeed.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

By liquid meals, what do you mean? Sorry im asking so many questions on your forum. I just having a hard time getting nutients in

• Posted

I put all my food in a liquidiser, well breakfast is very, very runny oats topped with hot water, a spoonful of ground almonds and a spoonful of freeze dried blackcurrant powder left to cook for ten minutes then I add yoghurt so it is super soft. That is actually quite nice. Lunch would be a handful of salad leaves, a mango, an avacado, almond milk all whizzed up in the liquidiser. Sometimes I add spirulina but it is pretty strong so I have to be in the mood for that! In the evening if I can manage anything it may be a couple of poached eggs on a mashed avacado or just a spoonful of peanut butter whizzed up with almond milk. Lovely!!!!!
    • Posted

That should have read left to cool not cook for ten minutes
    • Posted

Thanks Maggie! Im going to try. Textures have become an issue for me and I will be tested for food allergies tomorrow
    • Posted

Oh it really doesn't sound easy I must say. I can't bear anything cold going down me now but the oats breakfast sounds good - quite like spinach and watercress soups. Have you tried Koko milk rather than almond at all. I have lost so much taste that I don't notice the subtle differences now but, after years of almond milk the AIP diet got me onto pure coconut milk instead and my husband says it's much nicer? 

• Posted

Yes I mostly use the Koko as I like coconut but like you my taste is so off it might just as well be water! Every now and again I can taste some small thing and it is so lovely but it goes in a flash. Mealtimes are just functional now rather than a pleasure which is sad. I discovered soy ice-cream the other day in chocolate flavour and the first spoonful was delicious, after that I couldn't taste it at all. Let me know if you have a special something that still tastes good.

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow. I hope they find things that prove really helpful.
    • Posted

A crepe (soggy!) dripping with spinach and mozzarella tasted fabulous the other day after a prolonged spell on toilet and a dog walk (new laxative) but then I tried making one mylelf but could taste nothing and then couldn't swallow it either?! Like you, sometimes I get glimpses of great tastes but then they elude me minutes later? Hot Ready Brek with nutmeg and honey is good and hot runny custard. Hot vegemite works well for me but I can nibble or dunk rice cakes or even fine oatcakes so that helps. I love cheese and omelettes - liquidised might not like them much though but it may come to this. Dark strawberry chocolate nibbled or dipped or just sucked slowly with a cuppa is nice

Cold food gives me oesophageal spasms so Ice cream has become a no no - which i find really sad!! X

• Posted

Hello. I am to be investigated for gastroparesis too after several years of what has been assumed to be IBS-c. Most of my SS is neurological although I have some dryness issues too. I don't have the severe dryness in my mouth and nor do I have to liquidise foods yet so I count myself as fortunate in this way.

However I do have burning lips, numb face, TMJ and TN  and pain when swallowing and worst of all, a constant foul taste. All of these have made my relationship with food very difficult. So I can sympathise enormously. The most important thing for me is that I don't end up with food phobias to the foods I should be eating i.e soft foods, which often make me gag these days. Foods that are high in roughage only aggravate the dysmotikity so I end up doubled up in pain.

I found the AIP diet only seemed to worsen my issues with certain food groups recommended. Bone broth made me gag - as did sweet potatoes - both a main stay to this diet. Now my GP has refereed me to the dietician to hopefully oversee the Fodmap diet - which looks quite paleo friendly to me but I haven't started it yet.

I crave small quantities of strong, salty tastes and firm dry textures with lots of red bush tea and Koko milk. I would cheerfully nibble slowly on toast and marmite with an urn of tea to wash it down and runny Ready Brek with honey - but obviously this wouldn't provide enough nutrition so I resist and am sticking roughly to things that I can taste enough and can swallow. The texture and taste of meat is horrible to me now but then so are many vegetables because I can't taste them so they stick in my throat. I think at least some of this is becoming an eating disorder for me though because of the taste and neuro problems. If I were you I'd ask to see a dietician or nutritionist for assistance with this if you are able to? 

• Posted

Dysmotility that should say! 
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I share a lot of your issues with food and neurological involvement, foul taste in my mouth, losing my taste and sense of smell etc. I was referred to a dietician and I explained very carefully that I cannot tolerate anything with animal protein as I really cannot digest it. She said she understood but as I have become officially underweight she said she had a protein drink that would suit me. Well, I took it to the beach with my dog and decided to try it without reading the ingredients because I didn't want to dismiss it out of hand so to speak. Within half an hour I was vomiting on the sand!!!! I then read the ingredients and it was 100% flavoured whey protein. I haven't been back to her because that is pretty basic knowledge. We are up against it from the bottom up, in all senses of the word!!!😁

• Posted

Hi Tumtum,

This has been very helpful to me, not sure about Maggie. I will request a nutritionist as little by little im building a hate relationship with food. I too feel like i have an eating disorder but don't. I do want to eat sometimes but the dry, numb itchy feeling I get in the back of my throat makes me give it up quickly. I wish I could enjoy meals again.

• Posted

Oh no that's awful! We really are up against it I agree. I'm on Mycophenolate 3g daily and this seems to have helped my balance issues a lot and made the inflammatory arthritis in one hand disappear. But as for the rest I'm really not sure? At least I no longer have hypertension or trace blood and protein in pee but that could be the weight loss from my issues with food? 

I think this neuro type of Sjögren's is very isolating. I see others mainly speaking about dry eyes and mouth but for me even this seems neurological rather than anything topical meds really address? Sometimes I think it would be easier to have my RA diagnosis back or have MS because at least doctors and friends would know what it was and what  to expect.  

Are you on anything for the systemic side of this disease? 

• Posted

Oh I know - it's like the pleasure goes out of life if food becomes a trial? Nutritionist or dietician might help if you can find a good one. 

• Posted

You're neurological symtoms seem more like mine but I'm still in the process of a full diagnosis

• Posted

Tatum this is so interesting. I was diagnosed with vestibular migraine and take the anticonvulsant topiramate for this which has helped me enormously because I was so unbalanced and dizzy I had to walk with a stick, could not clean my bathroom without spinning and vomiting and then sitting down for two hours. I also have erosive arthritis in my hands and feet for which I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine. I also have an arrhythmia, orthostatic hypotension, peripheral neuropathy and the latest cataracts! I have all the very, very dry symptoms as well but I am now wondering if the vestibular issues were all part and parcel of SS. This is yet to be confirmed, the lip biopsy is in two weeks but the consultant who is going to perform it is convinced I have SS. I also, rather worryingly, have solid, enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and a string of pearl like nodes in my groin for which I am awaiting a scan and biopsy. All in all I seem to have the whole blooming lot.
    • Posted

I found once I got Gastroparesis (paralysed stomach) I lost all sense of hunger. No hunger pains at all. If it was not for my husband saying I needed to eat i could have happily gone for days and days without food.

Unlike you ladies I don't seem to have lost my taste sensation although my tongue used to be very sore (geographic tongue) and these days I still have times when the tongue feels burning but not too bad.

Are you taking any Prokinetic? I take Domperidone (Motilium) but I don't think it is approved in the UK. It has been excellent for me. Not game enough to try going off it even though my Gastroparesis has improved gradually. I can now eat solid food....whoohoo!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.