Gastroparesis and weight gain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice on maintaining healthy eating with gastroparesis? I’ve had GP for 6 years and initially I was very sick and weighed 43kgs.(5”5). Over the last few years I have gradually expanded my diet and have put on weight (I’m now 52kg). I feel loads stronger and have energy to exercise (lots of walking, yoga and weight training). I found that going on anti anxiety meds has helped loads and I’m a lot more able to eat.  However, I’m really struggling to maintain healthy eating without extreme bloating, nausea and pain. My bloating is pretty extreme- I look about 5months pregnant and I need to have extra clothes at work ‘cause sometimes in the middle of the day I bloat so much that I can’t actually breathe in my dresses! When it’s like this  I always slip back to things that I know I can digest easily. These for me are  simple carbs and pretty refined snacks like biscuits! I feel better, with more energy when I eat hardly anything- I can go a whole day with just a couple of biscuits to keep me going. That way I have no pain or nausea. But I think after many years of sometimes eating enough and sometimes eating very little that my body thinks it’s being starved and holds onto everything. I take digestive enzymes and domperidome, I don’t eat meat or dairy, I slow cook veggies and pulses. I don’t really eat fruit. I’d be really grateful if anyone has any suggestions or experiences that I can try! 🙏 thanks! 

Gillian 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did you ever had gastric bypass surgery or diabetis ?
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for responding. I have never had surgery and I don’t have diabetes. This developed 6 years ago and I believe it is idiopathic. 🧐

• Posted

What were your symptoms before you were diagnosed and what is your age?
    • Posted

So, I’m 39 now was diagnosed when 33. It started with vomiting un digested food a number of hours after eating. I had early satire and nausea whenever I ate. Was on liquid diet for a long time and became quite scared to eat. Anti anxiety meds have helped me to eat quite well. 
    • Posted

I am sorry you have to go through all of these .,., gastroperesis is rare so I asked 
    • Posted

Do you suffer from similar issues with gp symptoms too? 
    • Posted

My symptoms are a bit different .,, mine started 3 months back I had sudden nausea and wanted to throw up between meals that was my first symptoms I never had pain anywhere in my body .,, eventually it got worst anything I eat makes Me gassy I missed appetite and weight I feel fullness in my upper abdomen all the time ,., my GP said it was stomach infection gave me probiotics and that have made me worst for 3 days bloating all the time ,., I went to another GP she said I got anxiety problem I guess it was true cause I don't feel OK for so long she gave me anti anxiety tab and rebeprazole sodium IP for a month I felt much better my appetite came back but again after that there came another problem now I feel severe nausea after meal I feel discomfort in my upper abdomen and feel gassy after I eat a little I don't know what is wrong with me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.