Gastroparesis caused by opoids

Posted , 1 user is following.

gastroparesis caused by opoids

Hi, I'm a 38 yr old male and due to a mixture of chronic pain and addiction I am a long term opoid user especially dihydrocodeine but have cut down massively to 1 tablet a day. I have had digestion problems for a long time but the past 4 nights have been unbearable and I'm pretty sure it's gastroparesis. I have a Dr appointment booked.

Basically I get full very quickly but this isn't anything new. What is new is that for hours after I've eaten, I'm talking a good 6 hours or so, I feel terrible. I feel nausea, sick, constant belching, but the worst bit is my belly feels so relentlessly bloated with no relief or let up. It feels like it's being continually blown up like a balloon and trapped in a vice. Also when I breathe I have to take shallow breaths because of how I'm feeling and when I breathe back in it feels like my belly is being squashed. It's unbearable and I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life to the point where I almost phoned an ambulance on numerous occasions. I am now scared to eat anything.

I guess what I want to know is whilst I'm waiting to see a Dr, if anyone does know, is would the problem be likely to go away or at least improve if I was to completely stop taking opoids which I believe I could do, or has the damage already been unreversably done? Thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.